New floor under or around new toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

HawaiiDisney

Reaction score
I went by the flooring store today. They have this floor in their bathroom. It felt fine to me and looked great! I talked to an installer and he said the toilet definitely needed to be up which means the salesman was incorrect. He also said they have had nothing but rave reviews from customers who have purchased this floor. So they are coming tomorrow and putting the floor in. Then I will put the toilet and vanity in. Bathfitter has already done our tub/shower and it looks magnificent. Thanks again for all of the help!

cmango

Reaction score
The floating floor should go under the toilet, but NOT under the closet flange. You can use a scrap piece of flooring cut to fit under the flange, or just use flange shims to support the flange. This can pose a problem for small footprint toilets that have little porcelain extending beyond the flange bolts. The reason for this is the floor must be able to expand/contract with changes in temp/humidity. The toilet ( or pedestal sink, or heavy dresser, etc.) will not prevent the floor from doing what it needs to do, but screwing it down to the subfloor with the flange will. This is one of the problems with "floating floors" in bathrooms. There are often vertical surfaces that the floor will meet where its hard to cover the required 3/8-1/2" gap. I usually try to cheat the gap a little smaller in these areas (toilet flange, up against tub), but you're definitely not supposed to put these floors in tight up against anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks