Repairing gas pipe covering

Users who are viewing this thread

Rdtompki

Reaction score
I've got an underground gas line that is the variety with a yellow coating. Trenching by hand for another line the coating got a bit nicked up in places. What's the proper procedure for repairing the coating?

Rick

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
If it is yellow, it might be just a plastic pipe - We use plastic pipe underground all the time...
If it is plastic there whould be a tracer wire on the pipe...
If this is the case you might want to have someone come out and look at the pipe to ensure you did not damage the pipe itself...

Rdtompki

Reaction score
The pipe is definitely iron and has probably been in the ground for 15 years. Appears to be in good condition, but I have nicked some of the yellow plastic sheath. Where this pipe rises out of the ground at the pool heater the covering is split and the iron pipe underneath is somewhat rusted.

Rick

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I guess I've just never been around gas much but recently had a propane tank installed and the installer used 1/2" soft copper which has a yellow sheath over it. If you're reasonably certain that the pipe is not compromised you could just tape it up really good or use a neoprene coating painted on. A product is sold called Liquid Tape which is pretty good for things like that...or you could put a good gob of roofing cement on it.... Silicone would probably work also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks