Securing gas pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkS

Reaction score
In my basement, all the natural gas lines (black pipe) run up in ceiling and are secured to the joist.

At the end of the line there is a 90 degree elbow which points down towards the floor. Off the elbow hangs about 6 feet of black pipe with a connection at the bottom for the gas dryer.

This 6 foot of pipe just hangs off the elbow, it is not fastened to the basement wall. The pipe actually has some movement several inches to each side.

I'm wondering if this was by design? I was thinking of just securing the pipe to the basement wall to prevent it from moving (and maybe cracking the elbow), but then I thought it was left loose to give room for expansion between the basement wall and the joist.

It has probably been like this for several decades :) I just noticed because I'm am replacing my electric dryer with a gas model.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It probably isn't necessary unless there is a possibility that the leg will be subjected to some pretty heavy duty movement. On the other hand, it wouldn't hurt anything to attach the lower end to the wall to prevent it from moving.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
It may not be necessary to strap it, but unstrapped it wouldn't pass a proper inspection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks