Could I please get some plumbers opinions......

Users who are viewing this thread

Squints2See

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently building a house and the plumbing is going in. I wanted to get plumbers opinions on whether or not it takes significantly more time to running supply lines "between the joists" (I-JOISTS) as opposed to attaching the supply lines to the bottom chord of the i-joists. I have been informed by my GC that this is going to take alot more labor and a little more expense on materials because the clamps that he would use if he runs the supply lines on the bottom are cheaper that the clamps he would use if he attaches the lines to the side of the I-JOIST. I have been informed that he estimates it is taking at least 2 men, 2 full days worth of labor extra to run the lines up between the joices. I personally cannot fathom that it takes that much extra labor to do this, but I would like to get some plumbers opinions to see if I am in the wrong.

Thanks for any input anyone can give............

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I type in bold for anyone with a username like yours; I have the same problem as well.:confused:

What type of piping.....and how much more are they saying the cost will be?

Most if not all times running those water lines close to the heat runs allows the ability to chicken bracket and soffett the mechanicals and it is a done deal.

Tell them you'll cross block the joists wherever you want them tucked in and that should provide the same ability to hang them, just like off the bottom.

There is more work involved, not much though.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Rugged,

(Side note: If you use FireFox as your browser and you hold the CTRL key on your keyboard and spin the wheel on your mouse you can make the texted bigger.)

:)

Now. Back to plumbing.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I got IE7 and in the lower right hand corner you can click to 125 or 150%....

the only problem is then you are having to use your mouse back and forth to read all the print. The buttons get jumbled as well.

I'm about to get another license in my profession and when I get it....I am rewarding myself with a huge flat screen monitor that brackets off the wall.

And another one over top my bed. And another one in my bathroom.

Squints2See

Reaction score
RUGGED said:
I type in bold for anyone with a username like yours; I have the same problem as well.:confused:

What type of piping.....and how much more are they saying the cost will be?

Most if not all times running those water lines close to the heat runs allows the ability to chicken bracket and soffett the mechanicals and it is a done deal.

Tell them you'll cross block the joists wherever you want them tucked in and that should provide the same ability to hang them, just like off the bottom.

There is more work involved, not much though.

The supply lines are 3/4" CPVC. As far as how much extra he is saying two guys labor for two days......So that would be around $350. My joists run from the front to the back of the house. The supply lines are mounted to the bottom of the joists for the left to right runs because they are near the furnace duct and can be hid in a bulkhead that i have to build anyway. But once they need to change direction and head towards the back of the house, I would like them to be in between the joists so I can possibly drywall the ceiling without furring it out in the future......

P.S - my name is a little misleading as I got that name from having dizziness and vertigo problems that would cause me to have to squint as to not feel the room spinning as much............:D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lines

I am having a hard time envisioning how it would cost more to place the lines between the joists instead of underneath them IF they are still going in the same direction. If the pipes run perpendicular to the joists, then it would be a big difference, but only $350.00 for two guys for two days? Have you checked to see if they have their green cards?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks