Sealing a bath (keep bath full for ? hours)

Users who are viewing this thread

MaccGaz

Reaction score
Hi all,

My plumber fitted my bath, put sealant on and half filled the bath with water to help it so that it wont split or break away when the bath gets full during use. I saw he had this full at 10am.

I've had problems with my toilet (a blockage) which was cleaned today and they tested it (after other tests!!) by emptying the bath. This was approximately 5.30pm.

I have since not refilled the bath. I touched the sealant and it was disrupted by the touch.

Is the 7-8 hours of being 1/2 filled enough to let the sealant set or should I go over to my house (I'm not staying there at the moment) and fill it up again over-night?

Thanks.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Somebody explain this to me... I've never heard of filling a tub with water to let a sealant set... is this somehthing new that I need to know about?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
No it could also be tile grout. Put water on the tub and empty it when the grout is hard so it won't crack when you begin to use the bath.

alabubba

Project Engineer
Reaction score
I think plumber1 is right, although if I understand it correctly, the seam between the tub and the bottom row of tile should not be grout, but an appropriate caulk. I've read that doing that (filling the tub prior to caulking) will let the caulk be basically stress-free when the tub is full, and have a little compression on it when the tub is empty. Whether it is worth the effort or not is probably a matter of opinion. :confused:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I can see how that might help since the Aquaglas eleganza's I installed the past couple of weeks were flimsy, rubbery, and warped. Until these are well supported and attached they are wiggly. Filling with water while securing or caulking definitely makes sense now to put it down just the smidged it would move when filled for a bath.

randyj-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like he used a latex caulk on the drain and filled the tub.

MaccGaz, can you be more specific.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The aquaglas tubs I've installed specify latex caulk on drains as the plumber's putty can be detrimental to the plastic over time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks