Ceiling Height for New Bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I'd like to add a bathroom to an unfinished space on the 2nd story of my house. The ceiling follows a roof line that drops from 8' to 4' over a run of 6'. Does the ceiling drop too much to do this without adding a dormer? It looks like it's doable, but I'm not sure that it would meet code requirements.

Thanks

Nelsonba

Reaction score
No worries there. The space runs the whole length of the house. About 35' or so.

So I won't get hung up on any type of ceiling height code requirement?

Thanks

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Here is a quick diagram

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• plan.JPG
    plan.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 658

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
nelsonba said:
I'd like to add a bathroom to an unfinished space on the 2nd story of my house. The ceiling follows a roof line that drops from 8' to 4' over a run of 6'. Does the ceiling drop too much to do this without adding a dormer? It looks like it's doable, but I'm not sure that it would meet code requirements.

Thanks

I do not know what any code might require, but a 3' wide tub placed along your 8' high (long) wall would leave you with only 6' of decreasing headroom where you step in and out. But if you place a 5' tub/shower along the sloping end wall, you would only have to be careful about stepping too far back in the tub and/or away from the showerhead.

I could see a toilet facing away from your 4' wall and toward the 8' wall, but not all the way back. Personally, I would put the tub-shower at one end of an appropriately-lengthed room and the lav/vanity at the other end, with the toilet and door in-between and offset to either side of the center of the length of the room, as in one closer to the tub and the other closer to the lav/vanity so you can open the door (in) without hitting the toilet.

Does that make any sense?!

Barrybpdx

Reaction score
below is part of what's required in Portland OR.

In bathrooms with sloped ceilings, not
more than 75 percent of the floor area is
permitted to have a ceiling height less than 6'8", provided an area of 21 inches deep by 24 inches wide in front
of toilets and lavatories has a minimum height of 6'4", measured from the finished fl oor. An area of 24 inches
by 30 inches both in front of, and inside of a tub or shower shall have a minimum height of 6'4", measured
from the standing surface of the fixture.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
where vents & drains go is the next step

nelson

looks like you already got a lot of good tips. Progress!

next step is to see all the possible ways to run vents and drains. Then you add your wish list on top of that, i mean all the things you wish you could have in your new bathroom.

david

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Here's what I have so far...

I might think about only doing one sink and moving it to the wall by the toilet and then moving the toilet over to the center of the room... Depending on what the permit office has to say. I think I'm going to have an issue with the door though. If I swing it into the bathroom, I think it's going to hit the ceiling assuming an 80" height on the door. Any solutions here other than have the door swing out instead? Here's a couple photos of the plan so far. I welcome any other ideas.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Bathroom2.jpg
    Bathroom2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 581
  • Bathroom3.jpg
    Bathroom3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 590
  • Bathroom4.jpg
    Bathroom4.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 559

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
tuck toilet away, so you see another focus when you enter

assuming all drains can go anywhere...

i would tuck the toilet away, near the shower, so that upon entering you see something else primarily.

i would extend the thickened wall right across the whole bathroom and make it storage or open shelving or a combination of both. Even in the shower. With a bench in the shower on that side too.

i would put the sinks on the big thickened-wall storage side, so your tall wall is the edge of the passage to the shower. The sinks would then be roughly in the geometric center of the space as shown today, but would appear to be on the back wall.

david

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
hang two oval mirrors, one behind each sink

i would hand 2 oval or round mirrors.

In front of really nicely built open shelving made with large porcelain tiles. that is what i would prefer. But i'm only fantasizing about some ideal place and i haven't seen your reality.

david

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Don't think that will work

The wall isn't tall enough to fit a mirror. I've got an 8-12 pitch on the roof line. Wouldn't want to mount it to that. I think the sink would have to go either at the end or on the tall wall. I'm going to call the permit office and see what the code requirements are for ceiling heights.

Thanks

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
i agree. use the ceiling.

sorry i didn't spell it out. forget that back wall. it is too short. we agree.

if you want my idea, it goes like this: hang mirrors from the ceiling.

Build shelving along that short back wall, instead of building a whole new wall, which loses space and makes your bathroom into a long narrow room.

i always use the ceiling

david

The Marble Guy

Cultured Marble installer /remodeler
Reaction score
Regarding bathroom 2
Why not make the shower 3x3. I think it would make the slope less of an issue. You could use the space for a cabinet faced linen closet, water heater or something.
MTC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks