Power vent water heater required?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick.a

Reaction score
I have a 40 Gal HWH in a bathroom, enclosed in a wooden cabinet. It has a power vent that exits the side exterior wall. Total horizontal run is about 2-3 feet. The blower on this is very loud. Can I get by without it or is it required because of horizontal vent, or install in a bathroom? Room does NOT have exhaust vent.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
You cannot modify that current venting situation. It was designed that way because evidently there is no flue chase inside the home or out.

A conversion to electric water heater would be the only modification acceptable.

*You cannot remove components from a PowerVent model heater and continue operation"

GoTanklessToday

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your state follows UPC, then a gas water heater is prohibited in a bathroom unless its of a direct vent sealed combustion chamber design. There were a few power vent models some time ago that were, but this one doesnt sound like it. Sometimes an inspector will grant an ok for existing gas heaters in bathrooms, but its left up to interpretation (and as I have found... the mood of the inspector)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks