air, no water

Users who are viewing this thread

steve cutter

Reaction score
I have an in-basement one pipe shallow well pump that stopped pumping yesterday. The pump runs and the guage as it enters the exp. tank goes up to about 18-20 psi but just produces air. I have a hose bib valve/hose where the pump disch. line enters the tank and when I run the pump with the hose submerged it just bubbles. If I open the valve fully the pressure goes to zero, if I just crack it it holds pressure but no water. I've ruled out the pump and suspect a leak in the suction line. I replaced the foot valve in the well about 3 weeks ago because I heard the pump running in the night and figured it was either that or a leak. The last couple of days there was air in the lines in the morning and the pump was "growly" buut it pumped up and shut off. I've tried priming but nothing. Another thought was a stuck foot valve, but where is the air coming from?
Appreciate any help. Don't really want to dig up the line but that's my best guess at this time

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You could have a leak in the line but it would lose pressure after pumping up. Do you know how many feet of water is in the well above the footer valve.

Speedbump

Reaction score
How far down to the water from the pump?

Since this happened after you made repairs and the problem is different than the last one, I would check what you did. Look for air leaks, which have no taste or odor and can't be seen either. The suction line is where the air would come from. Anywhere from where the pipe screws into the front of the pump to the footvalve.

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
And since this happened when you were using water, you may be pulling the water level down to the foot valve inlet, sucking air. Known as a dry well condition.

When you primed it, did hold water for say 5 minutes without you having to add more water? If not you have a leak and the foot valve is a prime suspect.

Why did you replace the old foot valve?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks