Adding sink in in utility room

Users who are viewing this thread

basementbrewer

Reaction score
I want to add a utility sink in our downstairs utility room. There is a bathroom adjacent to this room with shared wet wall. I wanted to ask the pros the proper way to tap into the existing sink supply and drain lines. It appears that to tie into the copper supply lines I need to add tees to branch off for the new supply. For the drain line, what is the correct way to connect the new sink drain to the line. Can I take off the current PVC elbow and replace it with a tee with the two sinks coming into either side of the tee, or do I have to extend the drain line out and route a new line to the vent above where the current drain line connects to the vent for proper venting. Maybe these diagrams will help, maybe not. Thanks in advance!
I
I
I
I Sink One
I---------I
I Sink Two
I

or

I
I
I
I---new vent connect--I
I I
I Sink One I
I---------I------------I---I
I Sink Two
I
I

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

There may be more than one way to do it, or it may not be done at all. From your description, I assume the drain line is horizontal to the sink. If it is a 2" i.d. pipe, then you can either use a 2" x 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" "double elbow", or you can add another tee. If it is 1 1/2" i.d., you cannot connect two sinks to it.

basementbrewer

Reaction score
The line does run horizontal to the sink and is 1 1/2" (i.d.?) so it sounds like connecting another sink is not an option. Is it an option to run a new 1 1/2" line from the main vent/drain line for the new sink?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks