Multi-Shower Heads/Body Sprays

Users who are viewing this thread

Lenny B

Reaction score
I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom and want to go exotic with the shower. I have researched the issue and still have a few unknowns at this time. I have 3/4" to the Thermostatic value in my existing shower and will just move this to the new location.

If I wanted to use two 3/4 Thermostatic valves am I asking for trouble by just Teeing the 3/4" in front of the values? Optimum would be to have 1" but that is not going to happen.

So now I am trying to decide based on the Teeing question above if it would be better to run one 3/4" Thermostatic valve rated at 18GPM driving a total of 20GPM functions (5 body sprays, one shower head, one shower can and one hand held), I probably would never run them all a the same time but if I did, would it be a disaster? (I am planning on running 3/4 for my Body spray loop and 1/2" to the showers). Or would I be better off going the two 3/4" Thermostatic valves or one 3/4" for the Body Sprays and one 1/2" for the Showers?

I am just looking for some input based on actual experience on what works and what does not.

Thanks,

Lenny B

If I wanted

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
wide diameter = less restriction

hi lenny

i'll tell you what you probably already know, and hope that's worth something to you. :)

Using a bigger pipe ensures that the pipe is not the limiting factor / bottleneck, slowing water flow to such a low level that the pipe itself is a source of problems or constraints.

A bigger (wider inside diameter) pipe enables more flow, since it resists flow less than a smaller pipe does. So you get a higher volume / quantity of water at the output, with less friction noise in the pipes, too. Less noise is a major gain in performance for many people. Quieter plumbing.

Using a bigger pipe means that whatever physical limits your entire system has to contend with depend less on the pipe (number of bends / elbows, total length, total friction loss in flow) and more on
a.) the whole-house pressure at the outset
b.) the individual fixtures you have bought
c.) the total number of fixtures

So, I use 3/4" where there are going to be multiple outlets. There is nothing to lose by doing so. There is everything to gain. This puts the plumbing noise at the outlet. Rushing water noise. Sometimes pleasant, sometimes unpleasant, depending on things that are hard to control.

David

Lenny B

Reaction score
David,
So, splitting the 3/4 in front of the thermostatic valves (if I would use two) is not an issue? There is 1 1/4" pipe into the house and water pressure is 70. Like I said I would like to run 1 inch and then split to 3/4 however, I would also like to play golf like Tiger and I guess somethings will never happen. Oh yeah, my wife said that she wants to be 5'10"...........

Lenny B

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks