Need small toilet for New York bathroom with flushometer

Users who are viewing this thread

hersko

Reaction score
I have enough width, but I only have around 25-26" clearance so the door can open (The entire bathroom's about 7.5' x 4.25'). I also need a flushometer, a 10" rough-in, and probably prefer 3.5 gpf. Unfortunately, because of the size restriction, I'll probably need a round seat.

I currently have an American Standard (I'm not sure of the model) with an exposed flushometer. Do I have any options?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are many brands of 10" rough commercial bowl that will work with the flushometer style.​
The one pictured is the Toto CT705, it measures 26.125" from the back wall on a 10" rough.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Your choices are going to be severely limited. Now that most flushvalve operated toilets are for commercial installations, there are few manufacturers who will produce a round front bowl, due to the miniscule demand for it. At one time Crane produced a 12" flush valve toilet, but I do not remember, and their site is too difficult to search, if it had 2" of space behind it so it could go on a 10" rough opening, but that might also have been an elongated bowl.

Galfromdownunder

Reaction score
Ten years since this thread was posted nothing has changed - apartments in New York (the 99% end) have shrunk and I too need to find a small, round flushometer toilet exactly like the one I am attaching - can anyone tell me what it is? A discontinued Gerber or American Std? The contractor threw it out and ... Doh!

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thank you but I fear not... I'm trying to attach images here, so someone can tell me exactly what my old toilet is - and if it's a "top or back spud:"
Before:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1m9jzcxlhk82qil/Bathroom3.jpg?dl=0
And at present (better not be "after!"):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwt1yax5qvax22s/Bathroom4-goof.jpeg?dl=0

It's a top spud. (The issue being whether the water inlet pipe runs vertically to the top of the toilet or rather approaches horizontally from the back.)

You do have the issue of the door potentially hitting the front of the toilet if it is too long. Careful measuring is important.

For the toilet to whose spec sheet I linked, it shows 26-and-1/8" from the wall to the front of the toilet when mounted on a 10" rough-in. I would measure from the wall to the center of the closet flange to be sure that my flange centerline is exactly 10" from the wall in order to be sure that the toilet will mount in that space and that the front of the bowl will in fact be 26-1/8" from the wall. (If the flange is farther than 10" from the finished wall (not the coving or baseboard), then the front of the bowl will be that much farther out from the wall. If less than 10", the top of the bowl might bump against the wall or not fit, but if it does fit, you can deduct that distance from wall to front of bowl.

The elongated is likely to add about a half-inch (or 5/8") to the amount of space required. If you have that much room for the door to swing, then I would go for the elongated. It's a much better ride.

That said, if you're wondering what your toilet was, the one in your photo is a Gerber 1.6gpf bowl -- obviously not original to the building (which is presumably prewar or just-post-war). Maybe this one? http://www.gerberonline.com/downloads/specs/Toilet/25-820.pdf

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Regarding bathroom doors, they can sometimes be changed to open out. A French door, or a bifold door are also sometimes used.

Galfromdownunder

Reaction score
Thank you! I actually think it might be the 4th one down on this vintage site, the 1960 (?) American Standard:
https://deabath.com/Original/Or_Toilets/Or_Toilets2/or_toilets2.html
If you compare my Dropbox shot of my ex-toot (RIP) it's the closest - the very dated-looking vertical front and all. But I also stumbled on that Gerber too - it still looks too long. I have the smallest studio in the country at a pre-war 236 sqft (former merchant marine accommodations) and el baño is 4' x 6' if that. So with just 48" to play with, if the toilet is 26 1/8" and the door is like, 24" that's like ... 50+ inches. I hope that Gerber works. Funny, I just don't recall seeing the flushometer rising up out of the back of it which is why I thought it was a rear spud...

Galfromdownunder

Reaction score
Regarding bathroom doors, they can sometimes be changed to open out. A French door, or a bifold door are also sometimes used.
Oh if only I had the room! In my 236 sqft studio, if the door opens into the room you'd feel like you were stepping into a gas station latrine or the closet.. And you wouldn't be able to have the door open when not in the bathroom because it would stick into the room... And eat up wallspace either side. But I appreciate the thought!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Okay, so I am confused. I don't understand why it's even a question what was there before if you have given us a photo of it, disconnected, sitting there. You showed us a photo of an unidentifiable toilet with a seat on it, and another of a disconnected toilet in what seems to be the same space. Is that disconnected toilet the one that was there and chucked by your contractor? If so, it is without question a Gerber 1.6gpf with a spud that is clearly sitting on the top of the bowl (top spud). It says "Gerber 1.6gpf" right on it in the photo.

If the thing that is sitting there is NOT the toilet that used to be there, then disregard everything I have said. But then, why was that one there?

Galfromdownunder

Reaction score
Okay, so I am confused. I don't understand why it's even a question what was there before if you have given us a photo of it, disconnected, sitting there. You showed us a photo of an unidentifiable toilet with a seat on it, and another of a disconnected toilet in what seems to be the same space. Is that disconnected toilet the one that was there and chucked by your contractor? If so, it is without question a Gerber 1.6gpf with a spud that is clearly sitting on the top of the bowl (top spud). It says "Gerber 1.6gpf" right on it in the photo.

If the thing that is sitting there is NOT the toilet that used to be there, then disregard everything I have said. But then, why was that one there?
The unidentifiable one with the seat on it is what was there before the remodel. It was slightly cracked and the contractor insisted it should be replaced and that he could find one that would fit. So he threw it away.
The one without the seat is what he tried to put in there two days ago - as you can see it does not fit. He's gotta take it away and try again. And since round bowl flushvalve toilets are scarce (even 10 years ago, due to dwindling residential demand, as someone posted earlier in this thread) I'm concerned about sourcing one that will fit here in 2016. Apologies for the confusion. And I call myself a copywriter...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks