sewage pump plumbing advice

Users who are viewing this thread

pumpitup

Reaction score
please give me some advice on piping my sewage pump.

I have an existing in ground basement sewage pit, with all the underground plumbing in place. it was roughed in back when the basement was poored for a future bathroom. as you may have guessed the future has arrived and I am installing the bathroom.
the pit is empty with the 4inch drain pipe entering from the side. I have purchased a cast iron sewage pump with 2" discharge, a 2" PVC check valve, and a 2" gate valve. my questions are?

1) check valve - Horizontal vs Vertical? the instruction with the pump and valve mention horizontal for pumping solids. my overhead sewer is almost directly above the sump pit about 8 feet. it would be a simple run (no extra turns)to install it verticly and would probably be cleaner if I ever needed to service it? if I go horizontal I will have to make extra turns just for that reason. so what you experience? do I need to install it horizontally, or will verticle work just as well?
2) next since I need to go about 8 feet vertical from the pit to the overhead line (+3 feet down in the pit), does it matter were the check valve & gate valve go. another words do I put them close to the floor/pit, half way up the rise, or near the top of the rise? I am concerned that if there is 6+ feet of yuck sitting on top of the check valve in bewteen uses, that something may get plugged up?
3) any other advise, does or don'ts?? I only want to do the job once and do it right.

thank you

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
pumpitup said:
my overhead sewer is almost directly above the sump pit about 8 feet ... I need to go about 8 feet vertical from the pit to the overhead line (+3 feet down in the pit) ...

Whew! What is the ceiling height in your basement, and/or is part of your 1st floor also below ground level? While considering your dimensions, I cannot picture your situation without the sewage line being above ground level.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Probably would be wise to follow instructions...
Come up from the pit on one side of the main drain, travel horizontally placing the check then gate valve and drop into the top of the drain...
You would be best coming down into the drain line with the pumped waste...

pumpitup

Reaction score
ceiling height

the basement has a 9ft ceiling and the overhead is about a foot below the joist near the center of the basement by the ejector pit. it then runs along one side of the basemnet wall and drops about 2 more feet before exiting the foundation.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
pumpitup said:
the basement has a 9ft ceiling and the overhead is about a foot below the joist near the center of the basement by the ejector pit. it then runs along one side of the basemnet wall and drops about 2 more feet before exiting the foundation.

Ah, now I see!

I also would keep your check valve high where your discharge line turns horizontal, and I would go into the main line at its lowest point possible. In other words, I would rather go horizontal for six feet than vertical for two more. But, there are true experts here who might say differently.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would Put the check valve just above the pit. Read the instructions for check valve placement. 8' up will be to high. What brand of pump is it?

alexjag33

Reaction score
I have a similar issue

I'm doing the same thing as the project described.

My questions are as follows:

1. Do all inlets into the pit have to come from within the concrete, or can another come from above? As of now, my bathroom toilet and sink will drain into the pit under the concrete, but I'd like to install a kitchenette sink in the basement also. I'm hoping to not have to dig up concrete.

2. Can *all* of my basement sewage venting be done entirely from that pit? Or do I need to vent every item in my basement individually?

Sorry I don't know much about plumbing- help! :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks