tile underlay

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkMark

Reaction score
has anyone heard of or used a peel and stick easy mat with sound guard? home depot sells it and im wondering if it is a good product for under tile in a bathroom?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not familiar with that one. Ask the store to let you look at the installation specs on it. Note who the manufacturer is and check out their website, as well.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
ok AFAIK

it's been around for a couple years, and it will do a so-so job that won't suffice in applications where soundproofing is important. For the average home remodel, having some sound deadening is better than not having any.

It is also good as a heat break to ensure that most of the heat from electric cables goes into the tiles and not by thermal bridging and conduction into the rest of the house and outdoors.

david

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any tiled floor should be done with ply with all C or better faces (i.e., no D faces), T&G so the edges are supported (on the first layer), and exterior glue. A minimum of 3/4" is usually recommended. If you are going to do stone tile, then you need two layers. The minimum layer thickness you can use is 3/8". The ply must be installed across the joints. If you use a second layer, it must be offset from the first, and screws (preferably) or ring-shank nailed to the bottom layer, avoiding the joists. Since the membrane, cbu you use isn't adding structurally to the floor, the thickness doesn't matter; i.e., you can use the thinner stuff if you wish. Check out www.johnbridge.com for tiling help.

chubyball

Reaction score
I use wonder board for under lay my new tile bathroom. Mater of fact I am working on my bathroom tomorrow and have wonder board install first before put tile on top.

K

kathywhite

If you are going to do stone tile, then you need two layers. The minimum layer thickness you can use is 3/8". The ply must be installed across the joints..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks