Black iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Riosman

Reaction score
Is installing about 20 feet of black iron pipe for a liquid propane gas range too much for a homeownwer to do?

I'm adding on a 480 sq foot kitchen. So far I have done it all.
Grading, foundation, framing, roof, shearwall, siding, electrical, drain, copper tubing (hot and cold)

Should I hire a plumber to do the gas line?
If not then what are the key points?
If so I will take a short break while the plumber goes at it.

Riosman

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have a licensed insured plumber do it you will never have to wonder if there was something you didn't do right. Propane is heavier than air and you can have a leak and not know it.

Laneman

Reaction score
I had 20 feet of line to run for my propane stove too. I hired a plumber for this part. He used CSST flex for the run and was done in two hours including a thorough leak check. Cost about $135. I would have spent two days under the house if I did it. I say have it done by the plumber. If you do it yourself, use good thread sealer and do a careful leak check with soapy water.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
propane

Propane is heavier than air, and if you have a leak, you WILL know it, but maybe not immediately. But when it explodes, there will be no doubt that it had been leaking. The question is, how much of the house will still be there.

Riosman

Reaction score
Well,
I like the idea of having someone else crawl under and route the pipe. I would request it be done in iron pipe.
I had similar work done one time before with good results. I was concerned watching a running nose kid do the work.
Yes he was lincenced and insured. He had to go to HD several times to get pipe the correct lenght.
I thought a good plumber would thread his own pipe.

Riosman

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Riosman said:
Well,
I like the idea of having someone else crawl under and route the pipe. I would request it be done in iron pipe.
I had similar work done one time before with good results. I was concerned watching a running nose kid do the work.
Yes he was lincenced and insured. He had to go to HD several times to get pipe the correct lenght.
I thought a good plumber would thread his own pipe.

Riosman

It's hard to say if a "good plumber" is dictated by whether he has threading tools or not. I myself do.....but I can't say that means that I'm better than the next guy. Most people care about whether the job is done right and no leaks, and of course, as cheap as possible.

Running to HD equals no decent profit ratio. Threading tools are around $500 for a good setup with that number climbing heavily for the stand and oil catcher.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Top drawer threading equipment would be fairly costly, and since pipe threading is not as common as in days of yore, I can understand why he might not of had a professional pipe threading setup. However, a manual set of pipe dies, a pipe vise, and pipe cutter need not cost a fortune.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks