New ferrule install after pulling old ferrule will sleeve puller

Users who are viewing this thread

cjs1996

Reaction score
New ferrule install after removing old ferrule with sleeve puller

Hi folks, replacing a toilet, and I used this Pasco sleeve puller (see attached) that has been mentioned on this forum, to remove the old compression nut and ferrule.

The old ferrule was quite snug, and when I removed it with this tool, it was tight during the entire pull. This part of the copper tubing is now shiny (from the friction/abrasion of the old ferrule).

When I put the new nut + ferrule on, I notice that there was a little bit more play in the ferrule than I expected, in other words, it just wasn't snug on the OD of the pipe. In relative terms, when I slid the ferrule further back (behind where the original ferrule was) it was a bit snugger.

It seems that pulling the previously cinched down ferrule with this tool has reduced the OD of the copper pipe ever so slightly.

Is this going to be a problem for the new ferrule+nut? Or will the new ferrule conform?

Terry has mentioned that he uses this puller, I'd be grateful to know if what I've described above is a normal side effect of using this tool. Or is this an indication that the old ferrule was too tight and I'm now looking for trouble?

If so, what are my options? Can the pipe be resized?

Thanks
Chris

puller.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
That's a normal side effect. Tighten down the new nut to the new valve until it feels sufficiently tight...DO NOT overtighten. I like to use two 8" adjustable wrenches so that I don't over torque. You can always tighten up the nut if there is a drip...a 1/4 turn at a time.

Good luck.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is the rare times that the pipe can be too small, indicated by a very visible reduced size from where the ferral was.

95% of the time though, even though it's a little smaller, it will still work.
For those times that was squeezed down too tight, it may need to be cut shorter.

And yes, it is a tight pull, getting off the old stuff.

sleeve_puller_1.jpg

pasco-sleeve-puller-terrylove-01.jpg

I also carry the Ferrule Blaster below. It gets most of them, but not all.

ferrule-blaster-1.jpg

Last edited:

cjs1996

Reaction score
puller

Thanks for the replies..

Yes, it worked, but it didn't "feel" very good to me. There was some play between the ferrule and the OD of the pipe. There wasn't enough pipe coming out of the wall to cut and re-seat the ferrule, so I had to make do.

I went ahead and tightened it down, and it tightened down smoothly. Dripped slowly at first (1 drop in 30 minutes), tightened quarter turn and it's been holding tight for a few weeks now, so I guess it's OK.

Not sure I want to have to do that again... :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks