Black spots in bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

OldladyinNY

Reaction score
I found your site and hope someone out there can help.

Recently I keep finding black spots in the bathtub, I rub and they smear like mascara. End up getting them out by scrubbing hard, but they are back in other areas the next day.

Desperate to figure what this is....no black spots in the sink, at all, just the bathtub..........HELP

Cookie

Reaction score
Do you have a water softener? I read about those, possibly causing black spots.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have an old valve, the rubber washers can break down and let little bits flow out into the tub. The rubber bits can appear as you see them as black spots. It could be as simple as replacing the washers in the faucet to the tub. Or, it could be something else!

Cookie

Reaction score
I found a thread on it already, dated from June 26,05. Just do a search, on this site, typing in--black spots in tub.

OldladyinNY

Reaction score
black spots in tub

Well we do not have a water softener, and we are not on a well.

We put in a new hot water heater last year.....I will have my husband check it and possibly drain it....

Any other ideas for the black spots, this is a fairly recent thing....Thanks.

Khayes

Reaction score
We have those spots from time to time as well. For a long time my wife was convinced they were coming from the jets of her jacuzzi tub. When we remodeled the bathroom, we replaced the tub with a non-jetted one, but we're still having the spots. We also installed all new faucets, handles, etc.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
black spots in tub

Well we do not have a water softener, and we are not on a well.

We put in a new hot water heater last year.....I will have my husband check it and possibly drain it....

Any other ideas for the black spots, this is a fairly recent thing....Thanks.

If you have braided flex connectors to the tub, that might be where the black spots are coming from. The liners break down.

index.php

Braided lines can cause black spots to show up in tubs.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If you have braided flex connectors to the tub, that might be where the black spots are coming from. The liners break down.
Braided lines can cause black spots to show up in tubs.
..... Desperate to figure what this is....no black spots in the sink, at all, just the bathtub..........HELP
Sink faucets have aerators that act like a filter, bath tub spouts do not. If you remove an aerator you might find the same material as in the tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks