Uneven closet flange in concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve in Kent

Reaction score
hi all,
I'm attempting to install a toilet where the flange is uneven, one side about 1 inch lower than the other, and the low side at least an inch below the level of the surrounding concrete. I assume I'll need to replace this somehow, but I'm not sure how to do it. What's the best way to remove the old flange, as well as deal with the unevenness of the top of the pipe with a replacement.

I'll appreciate your help,
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you look down the pipe from above, is it vertical, or is is sloped like the flange?

You might have to break up the floor to set things straight. That's a huge amount to try to compensate for.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you may need to crack some concrete...one of the pros may have some other ideas. You can't set a toilet with it that far out of whack, and I'd be worried that the piping is further compromised - if it was pushed over that far when pouring the concrete (this assumes it was originally set level), then I'd worry about the integrity of the drain line itself.

Steve in Kent

Reaction score
:( Thanks for the input. I was hoping there may be some way to add a short length of pipe to level it out, then adding a flange. Or be able to cut the short pipe on the flange itself to make it set level. Something like that. I hadn't thought about other problems below the surface.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I might try a flange extender that is cut in half to try to build up the lower side.

Was this toilet in operation in the past or is this "new construction."

Steve in Kent

Reaction score
This toilet was in operation. I was replacing it, and I saw that the wax ring was hardley touched by the toilet, then noticed the lower/slanted flange after removing the ring.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've seen so much bad plumbing that when I was younger I thought one had to be a drunk to be a plumber. For a handyman fix...alot of people would just squish the wax ring with their fingers to increase it's height or stack up wax rings. Myself... If I wanted to try to avoid digging up the concrete I would use an inside pipe cutter to cut the top of the flange off then glue a piece of PVC of the proper size into a new flange and cut it so that it fit down in the throat of the old flange LEVEL with the concrete and set it in wet mortar. After allowing the mortar to dry then I'd anchor it with tapcon's.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks