(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Placing tub in 3 wall alcove

Default Placing tub in 3 wall alcove

Can anyone advise me on how the heck to manuever this tub in to place? There's gotta be a technique that doesn't include cutting studs. It is a Lasco 60x30. The bathroom width is about 58" with the drywall. Drywall has been removed from tub area. I have attached a picture of my predicament.

Thanks
    Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default 18"h x 60"l; need 3 inches wiggle room

turn it so the tub faces the bathroom door and the bottom of the tub faces the back OSB wall, as much as possible. Since your drywall isn't up yet, you have a couple inches extra space on each end, to turn the corners in, when it is turned on its side. The length is much less on this 18" x 60" diagonal than if you used the 30" x 60" diagonal.

An 18" height need 63". Might fit. Calculate in advance if you wish by measuring the diagonal and the max distance available. Or we can calculate by squaring the tub height and the tub length, summing these two numbers, and square-rooting.

if it works, it puts the tub in a straight line, but turned on its side. Then from there you are home free. Rotate it on its length axis into place. With a helper. Pad the floor. Get a strong patient helper. The tub (it's acrylic, right?) weighs less than 100 pounds.

i think you may have to remove more drywall on at least one side, and i hope your plumbing isn't taking too much space between the studs. Last step if necessary, using this same side-turn method, is to cut two 1/4" grooves in one stud (or remove a part of it and replace it right after), to let the two corners of the tub slide through.

hope this helps. and no i have never done this.

david

Can you remove the toilet?

It might give you more room to maneuver it into place. With our bathroom remodel we had to pull the toilet to get the tub in place correctly. I also had to take about another 4 inches of drywall out in front of both sides of the tub, and about 8 inches higher than the tub for wiggle room.

It gave new understanding as to why they put the tubs in when the house has no walls during construction!

You do need to remove the toilet........

Definitely have to have sides toward ceiling and floor then rotate when in the space. I've done the exact same installation and it's a bugger but it can be done as long as you've got the 60". You very well may have to take out a little additional drywall then put in a backer plate (piece of wood to catch drywall screw when patching in). I'll be doing another tub swap out day after tomorrow which will be very similar and am betting on having to remove toilet also.

O.K. thanks everyone. I will try those tips.

Hey, you bathroom has the same layout as mine. Where did you get the tub? and wall surrounding for the tub? I am also looking for the same tub size and 3 pieces wall.

Did not get a wall, still to decide between wall and tile. This tub came from Home Depot, Lowes has similar.

You mention 58" long with drywall and 60" tub. You are not going to get 2" with removing drywall. If that is all you have to work with, I doubt that you are going to be able to get that tub into the bathroom when horizontal.

A 60" long tub, 18" high, has a diagonal that way just under 62 9/16". It is about 67 1/8" for the 60 - 30 diagonal.

I think you need face-to-face of studs at least 1/2" (MAYBE 1/4" would work) greater than the length of the tub to have any hope of getting it into place.

If you could remove that stud that appears to be interfering with the front panel, or remove some drywall so the front panel in the orientation shown is not interfering with the stud or the drywall on either end, then you might be able to drop it down into position from the orientation shown. The idea is that the bottom left corner of the front panel must go BETWEEN studs until the tub is flat on the floor.

Some carefully placed notches in the studs (even if only 3/4" deep") at the end that is on the floor, would give you more space that would be valuable.

After the tub is horizontal on the floor, then you can slide it into place.

Thanks for your reply, I was being general with the numbers. Stud to stud is 60 1/4". So drywall to drywall is 59". I sure hope I can get it in without drastic measures.

What's on the other side of that OSB?

I ask because I would normally expect to see studs on the inside, but there aren't.....
    Last edited by TedL; 01-11-2007 at 08:22 AM.

Another sheet of OSB. Weird right?

I was trying to get at whether you could slide it in from the back, if that's an open area.

Also, you will probably need studs to attach the tub to, per manufacturer's instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by lkrides
    Thanks for your reply, I was being general with the numbers. Stud to stud is 60 1/4". So drywall to drywall is 59". I sure hope I can get it in without drastic measures.
    I think if you remove the toilet; then remove some of that green drywall on both ends so the left end of the front panel falls between studs and the right end is against the studs, then you have a good chance of dropping the tub to the floor from right where it sits. Then you can slide it toward the back wall.

Some shallow notches in the studs at the right of the picture will help give you clearance. Remember that the end of the tub is going to come UP from where it is now at the right end.

I hope you have a plan to hook up the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob NH
    ...I hope you have a plan to hook up the drain.
    now you're complicating things! oh no, what will the censors and reviewers think? this is gonna bring ratings down, man. Let's just k.i.s.s. and say good bye.

david