Questions - - Roughing in for future shower

Users who are viewing this thread

TedL

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out where to locate the rough in for a yet to be selected shower unit. I presently have a 48" shower in a second floor bath, and figure on replacing it with a 60" unit within the next year or two. That 6" movement of the drain will take it over 1 joist bay closer to the drain line. The drain line runs perpendicular to the width of the shower.

1) What is the best way to allow for some variance in the location of the new shower drain? Run the new line under the expected location, and count on cutting it back and rotating the trap parts to provide the final, exact fit?

2) This new capped line, and the old one when I make the switchover - - are thay "dead ends" prohibited by the codes? If so, what are the negatives associated with them?

Note: The currrent/new connection will be the last fixture on the line, which continues to the wall and up as a vent.

3) The current shower connection to the line is made with a sanitary tee, flat on its side. I plan to remake the current connection with a wye, and make the new connection with a wye. Doing anything beyond that would involve much more extensive modifications than I would like to undertake. Given the shower's position as the last fixture connected, it seems like I can leave them in the same plane without any problem, even if it's not strictly code. Am I wrong on the functional evaluation?

The ceiling of my first floor bath (directly underneath) is currently removed, giving me access, but will be closed up soon. All pipes involved are 2" PVC, though the person who installed the current shower made a solvent weld connection from PVC to ABS. After relocating the horizontal drain line, the replacement for that connection will be made with a Proflex, as recommended by Terry in response to an earlier post.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish. When you get ready to install the new shower, remove the subfloor and reroute the drain as needed, then put the floor back. From your description, it appears you have a flat vent on the same plane as the drain line, and if so, that by itself is "illegal".

TedL

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the shower drain connection I'm looking to relocate:

http://www.123pichosting.com/viewer.php?id=8691P1010106.JPG

This was shot looking straight up from (laying on my back on the floor of) the first floor bath.

Just cutting a hole when I go to install the new shower would put the drain in the middle of the drain/vent line. The floor outside the shower unit is ceramic tile set in mud, in good condition. I don't want to rip it out to access the current drain connection when the time comes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks