leaky wh from overflow tube

Users who are viewing this thread

fast pasquale

hardwood flooring contractor
Reaction score
i have a bunch of rentals and in two of them the overflow tube leaks on the water heaters. Is this as simple as installing a pressure reducing valve?? do i ALSO need to install a expansion tank?? why does this happen.. thanks in advance!

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Rig up a pressure gauge and check the house pressure.

If it's under 80lbs. just change the relief valve that is leaking now.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The problem could just be a defect TP valve. Simple and cheap to replace. So first check the pressure of your water supply with a gauge. If it is much over 60 psi, you should have a pressure regulator valve on the supply. If you do need a PRV, then you will need an expasion tank too. The PRV creates a closed system which prevents the heated water from expanding back into the water supply and results in a huge rise in tank pressure and trips the TP valve. If the pressure gauge shows normal pressure, then just replace the TP valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks