(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: leaky wh from overflow tube

  1. #1
    hardwood flooring contractor fast pasquale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    cleveland, ohio

    Default leaky wh from overflow tube

    i have a bunch of rentals and in two of them the overflow tube leaks on the water heaters. Is this as simple as installing a pressure reducing valve?? do i ALSO need to install a expansion tank?? why does this happen.. thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Plumber plumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005


    Rig up a pressure gauge and check the house pressure.

    If it's under 80lbs. just change the relief valve that is leaking now.

  3. #3
    In the Trades Gary Swart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Yakima WA


    The problem could just be a defect TP valve. Simple and cheap to replace. So first check the pressure of your water supply with a gauge. If it is much over 60 psi, you should have a pressure regulator valve on the supply. If you do need a PRV, then you will need an expasion tank too. The PRV creates a closed system which prevents the heated water from expanding back into the water supply and results in a huge rise in tank pressure and trips the TP valve. If the pressure gauge shows normal pressure, then just replace the TP valve.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts