Shower valve plaster ground depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveB

Reaction score
Just had a plumber install my new Moentrol shower valve (replaced existing)...The depth of the plaster ground guide is only 1/8" beyond the framing which will make it almost 3/4" short of the finished tile surface.

If I pop out (2) supply line spacers through the drilled wall studs, I can pull forward the valve to the perfect position, but the 1/2" hot & cold supply lines will be touching the wall framing...Any issues with that?

Dave

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Figure out where the finished wall is going to be and thats where it belongs.

DaveB

Reaction score
I know where it belongs, my question would be if it is ok for the supply lines to "touch" the stub (rub wear).

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If they're touching wood I don't see a problem... if it bother's you that they might rub then put a clamp on it or remove some of the wood with grinder or chisel.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dave ,

Moen makes an extension kit for just such a problem. It has longer screws ,trim ring and handle extension.

You can install at time of trim installation . Or get the plumber back to put the valve body in at the right depth.

DaveB

Reaction score
Doesn't that trim give ONLY 1" extension (no more / no less)? I've pulled the plumbing forward enough that it the plaster ground will be about 3/16" short of being flush w\ the finished surface...Hoping that will be OK.

Dave

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks