Fernco with a Lead Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott123

Reaction score
I've got an elderly plumber who's been plumbing since WWII who, today, just installed a fernco union between a 1 1/2" PVC and 1 1/2" lead pipe. I asked him if the fernco would work with the soft lead pipe, and he assured me it would.

I just did a quick web search, and, from the couple of sources I came across, it seems that my plumber might be incorrect.

Is it possible, that with very careful tightening (not tight enough to bend the lead) that a fernco might work? My plumber's the nicest guy in the whole world, so I know he's not BSing, but I'm really crossing my fingers that he's not plain wrong.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've never heard anything against it.... and I would use one if it fit. I don't know what other choices you would have...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure about using a clamp coupling with a lead pipe, but a Fernco which is neoprene with 2 clamps, is not supposed to be used inside. You should be using a banded coupling if and I repeat, if, the lead pipe is acceptable for this type of connection. Stay tuned because there are plumber on this forum that will know the answer to that for sure.

Austin Home Improvement

All home Improvements
Reaction score
fernco

why didn't your man go a head and take out the rest of the lead pipe all the back to a threaded joint or just take out the hole thing and replace with pvc?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Banded couplings work fine when installed properly. I have been using them for years with no problems. Where is this going that it can't all be replaced?

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
Cut the guy some slack... when I retire I'll be less into "rip it all out" mode.

If you can fix it good without much work....... why not?;)
I'f the line was suported well I'd use a no hub and or "furnco". Threades ar always better... but I've never seen a properly installed no hub, or "furnco" leak... only the ones that are put in a bind.

A PIPE IN A BIND IS BOUND TO COME APART...:eek:

If it's not leaking I wouldn't think twice about the repair.

good luck

dances-with-pumps

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
lead drain lines

If this is a 1 1/2 or 2 inch lead drain line of some nature,

it takes quite a bit of pressure to bend that

stuff and its probably going to last for another

50 - 100 years .....as long as it had support...

If you can simply put a FERNCO fitting on it

and keep from getting yourself into troubles tearing out

the whole lead drain line and god knows what else along with

it , that is the smart way to do this.... it will last forever...

I like the FERNCOS over the banded no -hub clamps....

they go on very easy, and are flexible and

much more forgiveing...

I like to put "glue" on the lead pipe
and on the inside of the FERNCO fitting......then tighten the
whole thing down........you relaly have to work to pry that joint
apart down the road...

Last edited:

Scott123

Reaction score
Cass said:
Banded couplings work fine when installed properly. I have been using them for years with no problems. Where is this going that it can't all be replaced?

It's a lead drain pipe running through the kitchen ceiling, coming from a 2nd floor bathroom sink. Removing the entire pipe would pretty much involve trashing most of the kitchen ceiling.

It's well supported. The lead pipe runs through a hole in a joist and the fernco is only a couple inches away from it. The PVC side is only about 8" until you hit the L running up to the sink.

Thanks everyone, for all your replies. I feel better. Right now there's a small hole in the ceiling which I'm going to leave open for a while in order to monitor the union. I may end up pulling down the kitchen ceiling and replacing the entire run- We'll see.

Regardless of what direction I take, this has been very very helpful, thanks again.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Austin Home Improvement said:
By the way, banded couplings are junk. always try to go with glue, or threaded joints. Banded joints leak down the road.

If that's true then there's alot of extremely large buildings in a heap of trouble. Lots of places require it by code. If you are the one putting them on and they are leaking then you might need to check out your technique and be sure you are using a torque wrench. Pretty much the standard when transitioning from one type of pipe to another.

Molo

Reaction score
Why did you have to do the repair in the first place? Was that the only way he could get to the toothpaste cap in the bathroom sink drain? :)

Curious to know,
Molo

Scott123

Reaction score
molo said:
Why did you have to do the repair in the first place? Was that the only way he could get to the toothpaste cap in the bathroom sink drain? :)

Curious to know,
Molo

:) no, no toothpaste cap.

The lead pipe started to split at the connection. It was a strange connection- at the turn of an elbow. I'm sure a plumber could describe it better, but I'm not a plumber.

It's just a thought, but an embedded vector drawing program would be great for a forum such as this (or, if that's not possible, maybe a pipe font)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks