Mortar under Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
I am installing a shower unit and wan to put a mortar bed underneath the unit.
1. What kind of mortar should I use? (thinset, etc)
2 Also, what is the best method of doing this? The largest gap between the subfloor and one of the several under-shower support posts is about 1/4". So I'm thinking about just laying a layer of 1/2" mortar and then setting the shower down into it and using my level to only push the shower down as far as neccesary and then screwing the hangers to prevent it from settling more than it should. Walking away and letting it set up for 24 hrs.
I have never done this before, Is this how the pros do it?

TIA,
Molo

Molo

Reaction score
Yes I read the post thanks for the link Randy! I want to have an even layer of mortar under the entire shower, no air gaps. Using the piles of mortar method I would be nervous that when I set the shower down the mortar would not distribute (squeeze out) evenly all of the areas under the base. Please correct me if I'm wrong or don't need to worry about this. The piles method seems like it would be a great way to control the leveling of the shower as you push each side down to the exact level height that you need!

TIA,
Molo

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Last week I did the install that I was inquiring for. It went pretty smooth as far as the mortar bed goes. I just put down mortar higher than the bottom of the tub and left plenty of room around the pile to allow for "squeeze out".

randyj-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Molo

Reaction score
How did that installation go randy? Did you use the thickness of the mortar bed to control the leveling process of the tub? I installed me shower base and I thought if the mortar had been mixed stiffer it would have given me the advantage of using the stiffness of the mortar to control the leveling process.

Molo

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I got a referral off of that job to do this one...so it went pretty good! I spent probably an extra 2 or 3 hours tweaking everything on both jobs. The second one got a little firmer mortar and more of it. I set up ledger boards to catch the back and side of the tub. The mortar gave it a very solid feel on the bottom. I was very pleased with the squareness of the install.

randyj-02.jpg

randyj-03.jpg

randyj-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks