(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pam's Foreclosed Palace :)

Default Pam's Foreclosed Palace :)

Hi!

Been doing other nonplumbing projects lately. (I just left a post in Wells section). I am enjoying "camping out" in this slum palace which I boughtfrom a bank--foreclosed). I moved in 2 weeks ago once I got the shallow well jet pump resolved. Running water is critical. I only have 1 exterior faucet, cold at kit sink, supply to remaining upstairs toilet & bathtub (circa 1937). I have not turned water heater on yet.

I am hoping the water is good enough to wash hands & dishes for now.

I am pail flushing the toilet cause I removed the tank to insulate it & gave it a good cleaning AND it had a rubber washer leak. Think it will work fine when I take the time to re-install it (bought new tank-to-bowl hardware & already installed a 1/4 tunr shutoff). Seems to flush fine w/ pail.

The lav sink does not drain at all, had leak on supply & loose drain piping....fixed leak & trap BUT I can not get a snake beyond about 18". I have tried 3 different ones plus some other creative things. Something stops me dead. This house was filthy but mysteroiusly this sink looked shiny clean? When I first ran water in it I found what looked like scouring powder residue in trap. I was wondering if the sink drain was saboutage by former owners cause they were losing the house?

It's a cheap basic wall hung, trap goes into wall at a Marvin to galvanized El down, then under bath floor to the tub & 1937 drum trap. Bath floor is solid wood oak. Then I thought I'd attack the tub drain & try to clean/snake all out for general purposes. Tub does drain some.

Well, I couldn't get the stopper/plug loose to remove. How's that detach? It's a flat metal disk that raises & lowers. There was 1 center screw that I removed but don't see what the does. I tried gently prying and unscrewing. Can't get ot up enough to see. Had same in mstr bath I totally gutted but I used a sawzall on that one & I don't remember how it was assembled. (I should of studied it after I got it free). I removed the overflow cover & it's pipe to expose some of the drain piping & gainmore swing room for wrenches.

If I remember right I can get a small snake to the drum trap from tub side. There is a nice access door on top of stairs to this. But of course the drum trap is tough to reach. Someone in past has slightly mangled the square knob. I tried several ways to remove cover but Istopped cause I was also slightly reshaping the square.

I bet pictures would help.

That was over a week ago & I haven't done anthing else yet. Oh, I did run a snake in can down 1 of the 2 vent stacks from roof. This one went to the gutted bath. I damn near lost the whole brand new snake down stack cause the end was not attached to the can. Is that normal? Somehow I caught it. I didn't know I was at the end already. About 25'.

Any suggestions? I'll take some pictures to add to this thread.

I expect some venting & septis tank/dain field issues too. This house has not been maintained well for 50 years.

Thank you for any help & humor!
    Bye

Photos:

1. Lav Drain
    2. 1937 tub interior
    3. View of tub dwv guts
    4. THE Drum Trap!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by sparking5; 04-21-2006 at 05:41 AM.
    Sparkie Pam aka Plumber Pam

"I don't give up. Plan M or N just gotta work!"

I like the last picture. Reminds me why we had to had to re do the drain line to our tub, due to that particular trap starts leaking after 60+ years. Bad side also, is you cannot snake the older style traps, but the lead is good for weighting decoys for hunting, along with fishing weights.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking that looks like fun, fun, fun

you got yourself into it....didnt you..?? yep..

I hope it was a great deal for ya.

snake the drain on the lavatory and simply
    put a new trap on it --if you cant snake it , hire it done...

instal a new tub drain on the tub..... Dont fool around with
    the DRUM TRAP its going to give you years of trouble
    so just get rid of it all together....

if you have a sawzall and steel cutting bi-metal blades,

I suggest you just get nasty and cut that god awful drum trap

completely out of there and then clean out the line....

then re build the whole thing from the cut off pipe witha no-hub clamp and then a pvc trap and drain....

its all pretty easy and a delightful experience if
    you have not done it before..

especially if you dont dry out that drum trap first......

that would cost you about 400 to 600 here to do it all

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Default You need a special tool to deal with this house...

...a D9 Cat.

Thanks for the advice, info & humor. I especially like recycling the drum trap for hunting weights. I think i'll probably sell it to the local scrap yard for $90 a ton.

I may not of posted the photo that shows how nicely the tub access door is trimmed out.

I did get a good price on this house. But the main reason I bought it is it's right next door to my 82 yr old Mom,a new widow. I can now keep an eye on her easily & it's handy.

Looks like I will be pulling up the 1937 oak floor in bath and/or making an opening in the kitchen ceiling directly below. Good thing I planned on resurfacing the kit ceiling w/ beadboard.

When I saw that drum trap I figured it would have to be removed eventually.

Good thing I got a sawzall, metal blade, friendly local plumbing supply house, good collection of cuss words, patience & an electrician bro-in-law who used to be a plumber. I'll probably call him in for a consultation. Especially since he was chanting in my ear last year to buy this house....Huh! LOL! Damn Robert!

I'd like to save this original bathtub, not sure why. Just seems to be the thing to do...Like buying this house.

I'll surely be back for some more info.

Wish me luck.
    Bye
    Last edited by sparking5; 04-21-2006 at 05:49 AM.

That would be a good way to start from scratch.

Mikey,

I clicked on your link. That's what I thought a D9 Cat was. I was thinking that a couple days after I got insurance on this palace, full replacement, that maybe an electrical fire might be a good thing! As an electrician, I know that could of easily happened all by itself.

Naw, I gotta give this old house all the lovin' it needs and deserves. It has not beenwell maintained since the 60's so I got a nice little project here. At least the work site is handy. I just fall out of bed and go to work.

Bye

Default ****

The drum trap is cast iron not lead, so you cannot melt it down for anything. The good news is that the drum trap is cast iron, because if it were lead it would have a fine thread cover and be impossible to work with. The cover is a brittle pot metal and will break/peel off very easily using a hammer and screwdriver or thin chisel. Then you can put your snake into the outlet and clean it, although your snake will probably not do a very good job of it. Then screw a new cover with a paper gasket, available at most hardware stores, and tighten it. Snakes are very seldom secured in the drum because there is no way to get in there to do it.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Default I feel your pain...

Sparkie-

My house is only 33 years old, and we're in the final year (I hope) of a remodel that started out as a one-room repaint 3 years ago. There are two architects on our street, and both suggested the 'dozer approach, but I fell into the remodel trap. We'll spend around $50K, I'd guess, by the time we're done (close to $5K on tools -- I never met a tool I didn't like), whereas a teardown/rebuild would be around $400K. OTOH, the rebuild would be (IMHO) spectacular, and exactly what I want, whereas the remodel will be nice, but we're still trapped in the original shell. Bottom line, of course, was the bottom line -- I estimate that professionally done we'd have spent around $150K, and we couldn't have lived in the place while it was being done. Also, there'd be other adverse financial consequences I don't want to go into here. And, of course, we wouldn't have had all this fun.

Having done all this, however, the idea of the disastrous event has entered my mind. It surely won't be an electrical fire, since I've done all of the new work (but some of that old work does look kind of shaky, now that I think of it). I think it'll be Hurricane Michael that does the job.

I wish you well.

Glad the drum trap is cast iron cause I can get $120/ton vs $90 for steel.

This house does have good bones & large enough. Has alot of character & charm, if you don't "look under the hood". Quite a few construction-type men have seen it and say it has alot of potential. Fortunately, I can do nearly all the work myself.

I have built a new house, actually a duplex w/ my Dad & sister. I know the blood, sweat & tears of a new build. Sweat Equity Rules! Tho, somewhat different than remodel.

I think I have now seen all the dirty secrets of this house and can get 'em resolved w/ enough time and effort and...............you guys!

Thanks for the support.

Guess I'll go install the rebuilt toilet tank now so I canhave a modern fancy-smancy toilet that FLUSHES.

I'll get at the drum trap in the near future. Glad it drains some now but I hear ya that it needs to be removed soon.

(The toilet seat is new)

Bye

Bye
    Last edited by sparking5; 04-21-2006 at 07:15 AM.

Default tub

If that plug on the trap isn't pot metal, it will be brass and it's soft and you can drill and chip away at it till it comes out.

Like HJ says, clean the drain from there and put a new plug on the trap. Put it back together or better yet replace the whole waste and overflow.

Default Pot metal & Lead

Pot Metal....is that like Diecast? Speaking of lead, I found a coffee can of loose lead dust (think for pouring lead..my Dad was a master electrician and used it on the job. He was great at it. Whenever the area utility company needed a pored lead electrical pipe connection they called for my Dad) and some 1/4" sheets of lead, about 1' X 3'.

How do I dispose of it or use it? I know it is hazardous. Maybe the local plumbing union apprenticeship school would like it. I saw a demonstration of pouring lead there.

Bye

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking a lot potential for what????

you are scareing me with those pics.......

having flashbacks to nightmare houses I have tangled with

wether you cut it or clean it out, its all fun.

Thumbs up

Good News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My toilet is operational now. It flushes and everything!!!!!

See.........................

The sign "Pam's Palace" was made by my daughter in 5th grade.

Bye

In the photo above...What else do I need? A flushing toilet, toilet paper, "Pam's Palace" plaque & a basic plumbing book w/ lots of pictures. I should of put my laptop in the photo too.

Yah...I guess a draining lav would be useful, a new finish on the tub would look nice, heated water is a nice comfort and maybe rebuild that mstr bath I totally gutted downstairs.

There is a nice view from this toileton 2nd floor and there is a walk out flat roof right next to it.

P.S. Hearing a Master Plumbing being alarmed at this house does cause me some concern. Now you are starting to scare me.

Bye