Ceramics and Durock

Users who are viewing this thread

Buster55

Reaction score
Hello all,

Brand new to your forum and renovations are happening as I type. Can anyone tell me do I put ceramic tiles on the smooth side or the rough side of durock? (I have read that when using mortar the ceramic tiles should be affixed to the rough side, this is a first for us so we are looking for some friendly advice...T I A

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Randy ,

WHY ?? Mortar is SO much better ! Mastic is the cheap-man's way.

You can get pre-mixed mortar and it's still better then mastic .

Maybe I'm wrong ,,,,, Maybe brick layers should start using mastic ,,,it's faster

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
pre-mixed isn't Portland. Is it mortar?

terms are not always the same everywhere. Words not "protected" can be taken over by new prodcuts that claim to be just like the older products.

hope someone can help explain how a substance can be pre-mixed and still be a cement mortar. If anythign sticky can be called mortar, then i take back what i said above about martar, and i now say cement mortar, or Portland cemetn mortar.

to me, anything pre-mixed is not a cement mortar. That is a mastic, to me.

So, my remarks above apply to all pre-mixed substances that stick tiles. They aren't the best choices for wet walls. Moisture and pre-mixed don't perform well together.

david

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've used mastic because (a) the customer bought it and wanted me to use it. (b) walls in kitchens and non-moisture areas are more suitable for use of the "glue" where there is questions about mortar sticking to the surface. On a weight bearing surface there is only one way to go...CBU with mortar if there is not a concrete base. Mastic also is good where you want to avoid dust and alot of clean up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks