How to replace valve in Moen Posi-Temp?

Users who are viewing this thread

zalcjm

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a shower with a Moen fixture that uses the posi-temp valve (10+ years old). There is a vibration and some odd faucet behavior in that the water pressure is much lower when the shower is running hot than when it is set to be cool or cold. An identical shower in my guest bathroom is fine.

So I bought a replacement valve but am not sure how to install it. Does anyone have details of the process? (The box might be missing instructions).

Thanks,
Jeff

moen_posi-temp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I hope you did not buy a complete valve, because you can repair yours by simply replacing the cartridge. You remove the cartridge by removing the handle and sleeve, pulling out the bronze u-clip, and grasping the stem with pliers and pulling firmly.

zalcjm

Reaction score
Oh, yes...it is the cartridge I bought

So the installation is that easy (< 5 minutes)?

Is there anything special to do when inserting the new cartridge to prevent leaks?

moen-tub-shower-terrylove-04.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
moen

just be sure to look at the old one to see if the hot and cold are on the proper sides, since they could be reversed if the plumber needed to interchange them. Then be sure to install the new cartridge the same way.

moen-notch-down.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks