Kohler Toilet 81100 owners, replacement options

Users who are viewing this thread

jomardi

Reaction score

Good news for owners of Kohler 81100 pressure-assist toilets. Kohler is offering FREE replacements for this troublesome (& sometimes dangerous) model. Owners can exchange for a new K-3467 San Raphael at no charge. The new model is not pressure-assisted, so owners need not worry about the explosions & floods reported with the 81100.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
kohler_pressure_1.jpg

Kohler 81100 pressure-assist toilets.
Seems pretty fair to me. Those models are at least 10 years old at this point.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
lawsuit

On Jan.20, 2005 a class action suit was filed in the California Superior Court ( San Diego County) against Kohler. The suit alleges that in 2000, Kohler stopped manufacturing parts for the Rialto Pressure Lite model K3404 and the San Raphel Pessure Lite model K3394, rendering these models unrepairable; and also alleges that the remediation and replacement program was inadequate, unfair and unlawful.

Kohler does not admit any wrongdoing, and settlement talks are ongoing.

jimw203

Reaction score
How does one know?

How does one know if a toilet is involved? What models are included; where on the toilet should one look to confirm?

Jim W

AlpineFrank

Reaction score
How does one get the replacement from Kohler?

I have one still working Kohler 81100, but want to replace it with a safer toilet that will not explode and flood. I used to have a second one but it died some years ago. Can someone give me a hint on how to get the replacement toilet from Kohler?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Frank

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Call Kohler and mention the replacement program for your toilet. They will ask you for the serial number on the pressure tank. Then they will send you a letter that you can take to a Kohler distributor in your area to get your free toilet. I did this a few weeks ago.

You could try 1-800-4-KOHLER

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
I first became aware of the replacement program from reading a thread on this forum published on 11-30-05 by Coca-cola Bear. I followed his steps for obtaining a new replacement toilet and the process was very easy. Installation of the new toilet and disposal of the old one are not covered by Kohler and are up to the owners.

Deric Kettel

Reaction score
Not free anymore

Well I called Kohler a few days ago, and told them I have 7 of these toilets where I work, and they said I could buy a new top half with the new tank inside for about $125.00 each. So I guess the replacement program is gone? :mad: Any ideas?

Deric Kettel
Maintenance Mechanic II
University of Washington

Deric Kettel

Reaction score
Hey Terry is this really you? I love the website, and have been reading all kinds of threads. Well I might replace the one I robbed parts off of to see how the replacement goes, but are the parts going to be available in 10 years, or am I going to have to go through all of this again. Thanks again for the reply.

Deric Kettel
University of Washington

Joerg

Reaction score
This brings up a question: Are pressure-assist tanks in general safe? When I got my first one I was looking for an overflow path in case the plastic tank inside decides to take a dump. Didn't see one...

Regards, Joerg.

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
Joerg said:
This brings up a question: Are pressure-assist tanks in general safe? When I got my first one I was looking for an overflow path in case the plastic tank inside decides to take a dump. Didn't see one...

Regards, Joerg.

Kohler discontinued their Pressure Clean system and currently uses Sloan Flushmate systems in their pressure-assist toilets. While there were some reliability issues when Flushmate transitioned from the original plastic & metal tank to the all plastic tank, those issues have long since been resolved and Flushmates now have a LIFETIME WARRANTY on the pressure-tank and a ten year warranty on components.

It's difficult to imagine a company offering a lifetime warranty if they have any reason to believe their product isn't safe. If you go with Flushmate, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Deric Kettel

Reaction score
Kohler toilet with the pressure tank

I also wondered where water would go if it ever did start leaking. The one toilet that has failed of mine out of the 7 installed here, was indeed leaking and got really bad toward the end of its life. What is funny is the leak was bad enough that if there was no place for the water to go it would have filled up in just a couple of hours. So I am still confused as to where the water was going. Oh well I am going to pursue the replacement top half of the tank and inside tank from Kohler. I wonder if they will be recalled after a few years like this model and if I can still get parts, but in a world that is unstable and as fragile as ours who can know? Time will tell. The other 13 toilets I have here on site are the wall hung type, and I have never had a problem with them in 11 years. Well the occasional cartridge, but pretty maintenance free. I guess they put the Kohler toilets in the apartments to make it seem less institutional. :cool:

Deric Kettel
University of Washington

alwayslakers08

Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if you guys know if the Free replacement is available as of today. Thanks in advance.:)

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I believe that the Free Replacement program has been discontinued a while back. Worth a call to Kohler though to make sure. Maybe it was brought back.

Deric Kettel

Reaction score
No the program is no longer available, you have to call them and give them the serial numbers and then you can get the replacement top tanks with the built in pressure tanks for $125.00 each. The change was easy, I did 6 of them in a couple of hours. Call 1-800-4564537 Give them:

Tank number
Serial number
Color
Maybe a date, for example mine were manufactured on 10-21-1994

Example of numbers to look for:
K4470 21005
T94k30631

Something to that effect.:) Let us know if you get this done. I'm curious if they are still working with customers.

I hope this helps, I know how frustrating this can be. But I have to tell you that replacing just the top half and not the whole thing was not only waaaaaaay cheaper, but made the job really easy. Nice retrofit in my opinion. One thing I did notice after almost a year is that you do need to tighten the two bolts between the two pieces, it seems the gasket settles a little allowing water to squirt out, but a few turns with the wrench and you're back in business.;)

Deric Kettel

Reaction score
P.S. I forgot to mention how great this site is, I need to check in more often. I got this thread in an e-mail notification, great feature that a lot of forums are using these days.:cool:

Sincraft

Reaction score
I spent 500 bucks for a nice looking kohler toilet that went with the decor of our bathroom (antique with oil rubbed broze, old style porcelin sink top and bowl) looks VERY nice.

However, 2 months afterwards, our toilet wasn't shutting off. The parts seem really cheap inside it. I made some adjustments and then again in another 4 months we had issues again. I finally got fed up and replaced the inards with some things I found at the big box store and what I could bend/mangle to work. Haven't had a problem since.

Now the flushing is still just OK for what they advertised it as.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks