NO water comming out of shower

Users who are viewing this thread

deveney

Reaction score
I just had a shower added to my bathtub. I have not tried to use the shower because I wanted to wait until i finished painting to hang up the shower curtain. I bought the shower curtain and installed it today. I tried the shower and there is no water coming out of the shower pipe. I took the shower head off and still no water just a drip or two. What could be the cause. I pulled up on the knob on the faucet. and it seems to be shutting the water off just fine NO leaks or anything. Any thoughts?
Any help would be appreciated.
Have a Great Day
christina

deveney

Reaction score
reply to model question'

It has Delta on the cold and hot water handles and thats all that I see.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
2 handle

I don't know the cause. Your two handle delta has a plastic diverter where the shower rise pipe connects that may be clogged but that's unusual. In that instance you can remove the spout and connect an air chuck and see if you can blow the debri up and out the shower outlet. But that's unlikely.
If you had a plumber do it certainly they need to be called. If you did it was there anything unusual in the hook up? Do your water supplies come down from the top? I presume this is a new valve with a copper shower riser?

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Is it a new faucet or an alteration to an existing one

deveney said:
I just had a shower added to my bathtub. I have not tried to use the shower because I wanted to wait until i finished painting to hang up the shower curtain. I bought the shower curtain and installed it today. I tried the shower and there is no water coming out of the shower pipe. I took the shower head off and still no water just a drip or two. What could be the cause. I pulled up on the knob on the faucet. and it seems to be shutting the water off just fine NO leaks or anything. Any thoughts?
Any help would be appreciated.
Have a Great Day
christina

Why wasn't a pressure balanced faucet, (single handle type) installed if it is brand new?
OR - If the existing, (2 Handle Delta) was altered in any way to have a shower riser installed, the piping change may not have been done properly.
Who did the installation?

deveney

Reaction score

The lady from whom I bought the house, Her son installed the shower part to the tub. The house only had a tub and he installed the pipe up the wall and put the shower pipe and head on it. The water lines come up from the basement ceiling. They were old steel looking lines adn he replaced them with white plastic lines and flexible hose looking line to the back of the faucet itself. The back of the faucet which can be acessed through a small door. is gold looking and has a galvanized steel line going up from the gold square looking thingy in the faucet. I kinda done signed off on the house so I can't call him back to fix it. So If it is to bad off, I have to hire my own plummer. Any suggestions.
Thanks for all your help.
Christina

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
Shower Problem

There might be an obstruction in the pipe leading to the shower head, Christina. Also, the faucet/diverter may have been assembled improperly or have a casting error. I would call the person who installed it to get their input.

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
Shower Problem

Also, are you sure you removed the shower head completely? After repairs on old, iron plumbing, sediment must be flushed from the pipes. This requires removing any screens on the faucet or in your case the shower head. If you only removed part of the head there still may be gunk blocking the flow. Take it apart where it attaches at the pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

Very few tub faucets can have a shower added by just screwing on a piece of pipe. Most need some modification to prevent water from coming out of the shower when the tub is used. In your case, the son apparently made a connection to a point that was not intended to have a shower connected to it. But this is just a guess without being able to see the actual installation and check the water flow at the various points.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks