(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pump/Well problem....

Previous member

It's the casing adaptor that makes it all work. The droppipe screws into the center of the casing adaptor which aims driectly at the eye of the impeller. Ther other hole puts the water down the casing on the outside of the droppipe.

bob...

Ok folks.....I finally got a chance to look at the pump Sunday. I didn't dig to deep into the problem because nothing is open on Sunday where I live...so I didn't want to be stuck without water.

I checked the tank and it is probably about half full of water......I checked the line to the pressure switch and it seemed okay.

I replaced the pressure gauge and it stays at about 50 psi and jumps to around 60 when running.

I connected an air control valve (AV-100) on the tank and ran copper tubing to the pump.

As of yet I havn't completely lost water pressure but it ocassionally does get really weak. Before it would go off completely for a minute or two than kick back on. What should I try next?

Previous member

If the pump stays at 50 when the pump is off, the gauge is stuck. If it jumps to 60 when running, the backpressure control is set to 60 psi. That may be too high. And if you run out of water, the backpressure would have to drop as well. I wonder if the gauge hole is as plugged up as Rancher thinks your pressure switch tubing is? That would explain the gauge not moving much.

You can't draw down a well with a jet in it. The column of water under the jet is always under vacuum and the well will give only what it can, regardless of what the pump wants.

One other thing. The air control and the copper tubing are practically useless with a deep well jet pump. The air control needs vacuum to operate and with a deep well jet pump with the backpressure control set properly will only have vacuum for a split second when the pump starts. This is not enough time for the air control to fill with air.

bob...

Originally my system did not have a air valve on it but when I first bought the place the pump cycled all the time without water running so I was told to install it.

I will check the gauge hole and make sure it seems clean.....now as far the the pressure being to high....I make that adjustment on the AV21 pressure control valve correct? Would I loosen the top screw or tighten? Thanks.

Previous member

You would loosen the bolt on the AV-21. The best way to set backpressure is with the pump running open discharge, with no restriction to the water flow. Then loosen the bolt until the pump starts sounding loud like it has marbles in it. At that point, screw it back in until the pump gets quiet again. Then a half turn more.

bob...

I'll give that a try ASAP....thanks.