Basement shower Plumbing- Advice needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Timinator2000

Reaction score
Hello everyone and happy new year to all!

I have a question:

I'm installing a drain for my shower in the basement.. My scenario is i have a 1ft square hole in the concrete but very little room to work with.. installing a P trap is going to need creativity.. I cannot dig down as I have a wheaping tile also in the hole (Don't ask, I guess it was needed to help drain that part of my house..) so.. I have attached the pictures of my 'p' trap.. i just need to know if this will work.. any suggestions? The one thing missing on the picture is the upright spout to the shower.. it will have a flange to increase to 2" (I had no choice on the 1 1/2" piping here.. plumber pre-installed it at concrete pour).. and the total upright spout to the shower will be, i figure, approximately 4 inches..

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Tim.
PS, i hopt my pics are intact..

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This is not to code on earth, the moon, or anywhere inbetween. I urge you to find a way to put trap in there, This does not pass muster as a trap.

Prashster

Reaction score
I ain't no pro, but, I can see a problem with transitioning from 2" down to 1.5". Besides that, I wonder if your configuration would function like an S trap and siphon itself under heavy gushes of water (especially thru the reduced diam pipe). But I'm no pro, so don't go by me.

I can say, if it WERE me, I'd chip out the surrounding concrete and move the weeping pipe a foot out of the way to give yourself lots of room to install a proper p trap. As long as slope is maintained, it shouldn't matter (again, not a pro - so take with grain of salt) whether that corrugated pipe makes a twisted bend or two.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It may work but it will not work right.

Where is the vent?

If it works at all, it will hold soap and gunk and will eventually develop an odor.

I agree with jimbo, install the trap required to work right.

Last edited:

Timinator2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.. God am I ever glad I didn't proceed any further.. pheww!!! you guys must find me a joke! I'm no plumber at all.. Anyway, regarding the vent, this standup shower is about 6 feet away from the sludge pump basin.. the basin itself has a 2" vent pipe running to the main exterior vent system.. Don't shoot me but I thought that vent would have been sufficent but maybe not?? if not, where would i position this vent?

Thanks.

T.

EDITTED:

Actually, come to think of it, the plumber did add a proper vent for all utilities, all within proper distances.. The draw back is that he, for some reason, must have thought we were going to install a tub (min requirement is 1 1/2" pipe drain) but we are isntalling a stand up shower.. given this, I have no choice but to put in a reducer from 2" to 1 1/2" pipe.. assuming i can move the weeping over enough to get clearance for my p trap, is there any general spout height specs etc.. that I need to be aware of?

Thanks again.
T.

Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
I think 2" might be required for shower drain.
The sewage pump is required (in my town) to have its own vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You will be very unhappy with a shower using a 1 1/2" drain. The outlet of the trap has to be on the same plane as the drain line, not above it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks