Tankless boiler coil

Users who are viewing this thread

daves

Reaction score
I have a boiler with a tankless coil for my domestic hot water. Lately the hot water has been "fading out" and running out to fast. I have read some info on the net that has stated the coil may need to be acid cleaned. Is this something I can do myself? If it is not worth the trouble cleaning can I replace it? I know my way around a wrench and I am not afraid to get my hands dirty. Please advise...If there are any net links I should investigate please let me know.

Thanks.

Lou

Reaction score
tankless coil

if it is old, more than 5 years or has been cleaned already replace it,if not you can get the acid from your local plumbing supply. But that may be more trouble than replacing it if it was not plumbed for cleaning,you need shut offs on the inlet and outlet sides and hose bibs plumbed on both sides so you can isolate the coil and pump the acid through it,also you will need a brass hand pump to pump the acid (see if you can borrow one from a plumber,they are quite expensive) I would replace the coil.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
coil

A coild can need to be acid treated on the inside, or it can accumulate "debris" on the outside that insulates it from the water. Unless you have a very inexpensive coil, and that would be unusual, cleaning it is always less expensive than replacing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks