Kohler Rialto replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

petergunn

Reaction score
I need to replacement for a Kohler Rialto (I think its a K3402). Float arm broke off taking some of the mechanism with it last night. Ive put a stop gap fix in place using a $11 Pathmark toilet rebuild kit and some novel adaptations but its time for a replacement - I need something more robust with a better flush.

Ideally I would like something that will fit in place without having to re-tile around the base, move the mountings or resize the trapway. I dont have any immediate restrictions on width or height and I dont mind running a short water hose. There is a ~2in gap behind the tank (I dont mind if that stays or not).

The TOTO reviews are compelling and with the stop gap fix in place I could wait to get one shipped to NJ. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best/easiest TOTO model to replace a Rialto?

Many Thanks

PG

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Rialto is a round front, one-piece toilet with a low tank.

The closest in the Toto line, would be the MS863113 Supreme.

Installation should be easy. Standard water connections, and since you have two inches behind your existing toilet, it will drop right in, with a bit of space behind the tank too.

If you want a bit more kick in the flush, you can go with the higher tank models.

petergunn

Reaction score
Higher tank models

Thanks for the quick response. The Supreme looks nice.

It might be a little less than 2 inches gap behind the current tank (maybe 1 inch with the lid on) - how much extra space does the Supreme need? I cant find exact specs for the Rialto and I'm in a different location - looks like both have a 12 inch rough in.

Are the trap sizes standardized? I found a Rialto PDF that mentions a 2 inch 'passageway' - is this the same as trap size? The Supreme mentions a 2.5 inch trap.

You mentioned the 'Higher Tank' models? Are these still part MS863113? I only see different colors.

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
internal to each toilet, not relevant to most decisions about size and fit.

petergunn said:
Are the trap sizes standardized? I found a Rialto PDF that mentions a 2 inch 'passageway' - is this the same as trap size? The Supreme mentions a 2.5 inch trap.
no, they are not standardized, as this is the internal workings of the toilet, and not the connection to the outside world i.e. drain. Take it all with a grain of salt. It's part marketing talk to tell your something and make you think you have heard something worth knowing, about the way the toilet works. They aren't going to tell you that all toilets are the same, are they? Besides, there IS a difference. But, instead of referring you to independent agencies they keep the talk focused on what they choose to say with no comparison to other toilets.

Can't help you with your other questions.

david

petergunn

Reaction score
Supreme on its way...

Thanks for the info. Ive ordered a Supreme. I'll post a follow up after my installation.

Does it come with bolts and a hose or do I need to pick those up when I purchase the wax ring?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Totos do not come with wax rings, supply lines, or bolts to hold it to the flange. They do include everything needed to assemble the toilet (although some do NOT come with a seat).

petergunn

Reaction score
Alternatives

I guess I can use a TOTO Ultramax or Drake since I have a 12" rough-in and dont have a height restriction? The stronger flush would be nice.

Im thinking of transporting it via the roof rack of my Honda Civic - does the 2 part Drake come in seperate boxes? What are the dimensions?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Drake comes in two pieces.
You should be able to fit two or three of them in your Civic

The one-piece will fit, if you take it out of the box.
If it's the hatchback, in the box.

petergunn

Reaction score
space for 2

> You should be able to fit two or three of them in your Civic

You're pretty good at this :)

Picked up the drake yesterday. My civic is a 2dr non-hatchback. Bowl wouldn't fit on the passenger seat so I put that in the back seat, tank+seat in the front. Could probably fit 2 at a push, maybe 3 in a 4dr.

Doing the install next Sat. Dont fancy lifting the old unit while the plumbing supply shops are shut.

petergunn

Reaction score
Success

Install was successful! Thanks to everyone for the help.

Stinky old Rialto from 1984...
IMG_2761.JPG

Flange with old wax seal...
IMG_2763.JPG

Flange after some cleaning... as you can see whoever installed it didnt rotate it to the right angle - still just enough for the bolts to grab and keep the toilet straight tho.
IMG_2764.JPG

Drake installed...
IMG_2772.JPG

Another angle...
IMG_2774.JPG

Looks great. Flush was a little surprising but I tried throwing paper in and it all seemed to disappear as expected. The no-slam seat will take a bit of getting used to tho :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks