Andersen Frenchwood Slider Question...

Users who are viewing this thread

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have had a new Andersen Frenchwood Sliding (Slider) door professionally installed. When it rains water collects in the threshold about 1/2". I removed the sliding panel and compared everything to the directions that came with the door, and the stationary panel. I noted that the weather seal that screws vertically to the stationary panel was centered on the stationary panel and did not touch the foam at the base (threshold) or at the top. I then removed the vertical stationary panel seal, filled the holes properly and seated it toward the bottom more so that it would be touching the foam that is there. I did not smash it into the foam since that would have not allowed it to touch the foam above, instead I butted it up against the foam at the base and then gave it a gently push into the foam, so it would still be touching the foam at the top. I did add a tiny bit of silicone sealant to "hedge the bet".

Today it is raining and heavy winds. The threshold is once again full of water.

Is this just the "way it is" with these doors? Or is there something else wrong?

Thank you for any tips, hints, or idea.

Pete

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Personally I would call back the installers and call Andersen and let them hash it out as to what is wrong. Bad door or bad installation.

Remove anything you have done to try and fix the problem and don't tell them you tried anything. They may claim that you have caused a problem by your actions and refuse to correct it.

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just hung up the phone with Andersen... I was told that this is called a "weep tank" and it is designed this way. In other words, when it rains hard (wind driven, etc.) you're going to get water in your house with one of these doors. It is suppose to stay in the "tank" and then drain outside. You'll need to clean the weep-hole so the "tank" doesn't over flow.

Sounds silly to me... but...

Is this fact or fiction?

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ok. 100% confirmed with Mfg, Dist. and two other installers.

This is normal.

Do I like it? No. Is it still better than Pella? Yes.

Thanks.

Pete

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks