Question for Plumbers/gasfitters.Work related

Users who are viewing this thread

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I took a job as a truck driver for a while. It was the fastest burn out I've ever had. At first I thought it was easy and I was making relatively big money for sitting on my butt riding around and enjoying the sites. Within a few weeks it was difficult to just force myself to get in the truck. I was absolutely bored and lonely. It probably happened only because I had a very small accident where I put a ding in a trailer, then got stuck in the mud by following instructions at my delivery point, then got lost by following directions I was given by the dispatcher. Then got fussed at for all the above and had to deal with an irate store manager because he got to work 2 hours early to meet me and I was more than 2 hours late delivering due to the bad instructions. The store owners and the public in general did not give me much respect. I would drive to restaurants and delivery points where "truck drivers" were not allowed to use the public restrooms. I got very tired of driving all day then getting to a destination and having to unload and drag a pallet jack up hills and thru doors that were too small... and all the time some woman sits watching me while she filed her finger nails and tells me to unload the pallets of boxes. I got very tired of what was expected of me, not what was required of me...and very tired of being treated like I was beneath the rest of the world. Sometimes I think people disrespect me as a plumber....until they need a plumber... then I get LOTS of respect when I fix a problem in a few minutes which has plagued them for a very long time and they couldn't figure it out.... but it does get to me when they complain about the bill and I'm giving them a very very low price! I unstopped a drain at a restaurant when I went there to eat breakfast and the manager offered me a "free meal" for my hour of time .... go figure. I know how people want me to clean up after a job and I try to do a decent quick clean up.... but if they want me to spit shine everything they certainly don't want to pay my hourly rate for maid service. Yet others don't want me to clean up anything because they're afraid I'll jack up the price for my time. I enjoy plumbing and most of the customers but it's a few of them who really make dealing with the public a depressing experience and ruins my day.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The only job I have never burned out of...yet... is plumbing. I doubt I ever will because I like it. Right after 911 calls dropped off drastically and I had to supplement my work by delivering meals. I burnt out of that in about 6 months right when things started to pick up again so it worked out O.K. That job was from 5 AM to 1 PM. Then I would go do service work.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
ABSQUATULATE the copper

Cass....have you noticed that the bottom is starting to

fall out of the copper market???? It reached a high of almost

4 dollars a pound back in mid November,

yesterday it plummeted another 22 cents on the futures market to something like 2.25 a pound...

a stick of 3/4 m was 269 per foot, it is down to about 1.89 now..

and falling...

so their wont be as much copper missing from houses soon...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Cookie, a bit farther east than Altoona; the Lewisburg/Milton area. So East central PA. If you're into maps, go to www.google.com and download google earth! Man what a program and it's free.

As to burnout... personally I like to call it bored and needing a new challenge.

I've had many 'vocations' or jobs since 5 years in the USAF mantaining nuclear weapons with lots of high explosives. I like my current one a lot but owning tractor trailers and driving all over the country and maintaining them was right up there too (Randy, ya gotta have some Cowboy in ya... and a powerful CB, preferably in a Peterbilt).

Power company lineman was the toughest mentally (nothing to fear but fear itself); back in the day we climbed with climbing hooks, none of today's pansy bucket truck stuff! 90' wooden transmission poles were especially exciting).

Cookie

Reaction score
Actually, I think the lineman's job is considered the most dangerous.

Last edited:

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Master Plumber Mark,
As of 1-04-07, the closing price on Comex was $2.60/lb.

Last edited:

KD

Reaction score
costco

RUGGED said:
So far I've been averaging around $1200/month and the demand for using plastic went down AFTER the discussion was brought up.

All I did last night was call a number, enter a code and the account# and it kicks back an authorization code. The bill comes at the end of the month.

It was just a stumbling block I didn't want to cross in business if I didn't have to but now that it is behind me I wouldn't be without it.

Growing pains of the biz but now that it's just like anything else, it's worth it.

I'd recommend it Randyj; I went through my bank even though the costco offer is hard one to pass up. I just don't have a costco close by and wanted the dual benefit.
What is COSTCO offer? Do they have a credit card machine or system for service people?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Cookie, nukes in 'Nam.... I've never heard of that but everything was classified and need to know, which I didn't have the need to know that. He may have meant some nuclear artillery shells, I doubt it was any of our arsenal of nuclear weapons. I guarded weapons we transported in convoys on regular roads behind a special farm like tractor and loaded ready to go in 5 minutes notice bombers with nothing more than a M1 and 45.

Lineman is fairly dangerous but mining and truck driving along with a few others are much more dangerous.

I was never stressed working on nuclear weapons or the explosives or nuclear material (I've held a lot of it, maybe a ton total, in my hands with nothing but rubber gloves). We were always 'detached' (isolated and hush hushed) from the other areas of the bases we supported. We didn't have a lot of the spit and polish stuff 'regular' AF folks suffered. We really worked hard, and did so for up to a week at a time, 24 hrs/day about every 4-6 weeks with little sleep and no time off, out on the flight line in all kinds of weather, but when we could we played hard too. We were a very highly trained close nit small family type group. Unless we were on leave, we were always on 30 minute or one hour 'alert' status, meaning no matter where we went, we had to be back in that length of time ready to go (to war). The Cuban missile crises got me into quite a few short lived reflective moments though... I was in England at the time. Afterwards it was 25-30 years before the public learned just how close we came.

Sorry, I don't go to movies; last was like in 1993 and I hadn't been to one in a decade or two before that. I've chosen to live in reality. lol

I did a temporary 6 month refueling stint in the containment building in a nuclear power plant. Talk about guys being burned out! They worked for the power company for on average 20-35 years (the same I was a lineman for) to be able to 'bid' into the plant jobs and didn't know anything else and were scared to death of quiting for something else and totally miserable. It was hell working there due to the politics and negative attitudes and back biting childish BS they were involved in. The union had a lot to do with that. I've worked at a lot of places and that was the worst.

Of all I have done, I have one regret. In 1967-68 the Army wanted me to go into their helicopter training program and offered me WO 1 (warrant officer) if I would enlist for just 2 years. I wanted to do it but I put them off because I thought it was wrong because I was married and you know I would have went to Vietnam flying gunship helicopters... and she was from Holland were I was stationed after England and her BIL was a fighter pilot for the Dutch Royal AF but she wasn't supportive of me going. She had no one here but my parents, so I didn't do it. I've always regretted that decision.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Gary,
Supposed to be laying down, just had surgery this morning.

Ok, I had to check his records, they were some kind of shells, not nukes, Oh, well...I am allowed to be wrong once in a while, and trust me on this one, I hate admitting it!

Your post was interesting, Gary.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Cookie, I hope you're doing well. The list is interesting and proves that all things change. You better get more rest.

BTW, I don't see any avitars here, I have them turned off, but... I see I have one out at the front of Terry's forums, and it is a map of the NE US. That must be the map you were talking about.

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Haven't heard from Tekmar since this thread started.... wondering what's up with him.

Cookie

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, I am working on getting well; doing ok, just trying to fit in alittle bit of work for tomorrow, tonite. Yes, that map is the one you referred to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks