plugging overflow holes in drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Scot

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a grohe faucet that came with a drain pipe which has holes for the overflow hole of the sink. I would like to plug these overflow holes in the drain pipe since my integrated bowl cultured maple vanity top does not have an overflow hole.

Besides, if it's anything like my other sink, stuff like hair and who know what else just collects in the space between the pipe and vanity top and seems like a haven for bacteria. Drain water will just sit in this space.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this. There is about 1/4-1/2" space between the hole in the vanity top and the drain pipe. Should I just fill the space with silicone caulking? Or is there some product out there that I don't know about. I don't think grohe offers a pipe that does not have the holes.

Thanks.

Scot

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think you would not have much trouble spending a couple of bucks to buy one without the hole. Might be a little hard to find but they are out there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

There are ways to 'juryrig" a spacer to cover the openings, but the correct way is to buy a drain made for a sink without a pop-up. There are many varieties in the various popular finishes.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
common problem now that sinks are made with no overflow holes

scott, i agree that overflow holes are stupid to have in a bathroom sink, and that they do collect gunk. Every year several people post threads here asking how to get rid of the flies that breed in their overflow holes... Yuk! I had the same problem for more than two years, and finally I had to throw out the whole kit'n'caboodle.

i'm too lazy to go over to the Grohe web site and look for the right fixture for you. Besides, i might prefer a different make or manufacturer from what you chose. If you post it all here, or th URLs, i'll click and follow what you are doing, and then comment again. Hope that helps. But, I don't think you'll be doing yourself any favor by trying to fill a quarter inch of space with any kind of gunk just to keep the faucet you bought. Return it. The sales people will be glad to sell you another one, after they ask one or two more questions.

Now that Code allows bathroom sinks to be made without any overflow holes, it is going to be a more and more standard question that DIY will raise, when they buy a faucet with the wrong number of holes...

david

Scot

Reaction score
status

I emailed Grohe and they gave me part number 28 958 500 (for future reference). They had a quick response for email BTW.

I only have 2 plumbing supply houses that sell grohe "near me" (40+ miles away) and one said they only sell to plumbers, the other said they don't really carry the parts. So I have searched the web and have emailed 3 supply houses, I have not heard from any of them :( . I'll give them a few more days with the holiday and such..

With this faucet they did not have the option of no overflow holes, it would not have matter anyway since I did not think about it until I started to install the drain.

I bought the fixtures on the web a while ago so the restocking fee/ shipping fee would probably be the same as the cost of the part (assuming I can get the part).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks