Doorless walk-in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

nc-terp

Reaction score
I am getting ready to design a doorless walk-in shower for a master bath remodel and am having trouble finding any information on shower dimensions (length x width) that would work best for this configuration. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated, especoially if you have any experience with such a design.
Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
http://www.wedi.de has some interesting freestanding designs and some that can use existing walls. They have distributors in the US. Some neat designs, no clue what they cost.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
A guy at the www.johnbridge.com did a great walk in shower with a lot of pictures. You might have to muck around his forums to find it or ask it as a question. I couldn't find it right off the bat but spend a little time or ask you'll get it.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Design a Walk In Shower - Work with an Occupational Therapist

Ask about bathing needs.

Best seat heights.

Strong hand vs weak hand.

etc.

JW -

Last edited by a moderator:

Amish Electrician

Reaction score
I'm a newcomer to this forum ... for a reason! Even this thread is "new" to me.

I've travelled a bit, and I really liked the places where the entire bathroom floor was, in effect, the shower pan. The idea that you 'must' have a plastic closet with a curb to serve as your shower is so ... American.

As a first-time homeowner, I bought a house that will have a complete-gut rebuild. One feature of my plan is that the bathroom will double in size. I'd really like to have BOTH a barrier-free shower and a separate walk-in tub. The usual toilet and (lavatory) sink will be joined by a hair-wash sink as well.

I appreciate the info here -and in the 'curbless shower' thread- regarding open showers. It looks like I might not be REQUIRED to have a curb ... or, if I must, I can place the curb at the entrance to the bathroom.

John, I appreciate the 'second drain' thought. Perhaps I can do this by having the sinks drain to a floor sink on the (you guessed it) floor? A straight tailpiece without any trap, letting the floor sinks provide both the air break and the trap? Sort of like what you see in restaurants?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Doorless Showers - Designing the floor grading to make it possible

Typically with no door lots of planning has gone into the design. This is something I like helping people with on my blog pages.

JW -

Amish Electrician

Reaction score
John, I cannot thank you enough for the time you're sharing!

I do intend on having 'pros' do the actual work. I spent too long learning my trade to not have respect for my fellow tradesmen!

Perhaps you misunderstood my description. I'll try to get a sketch scanned, but until then I'll try words (again).

Overseas I saw commercial kitchens that were plumbed so that the sinks had simple, straight pipes dropping straight down from the drain, to where they ended (maybe) 3" above the floor. Set in the floor was a trough with a grating over it; this trough often served several sinks, and typically came out from under the sink only at the end. At this end there was a much-enlarged cylinder dropping straight down, where it conected to the drain piping at the bottom. Into this cylinder sat an easily-removed basket for catching large materials (like vegetable peelings)

In short, with this arrangement you would not have the 'toothpaste flowing across the floor tiles.' You would give any overflow, or splashings, from the shower area, another place to drain. This would be in addition to a drain placed within the shower area proper. I had forgotten about these 'floor sinks' until I read your other remarks about wanting there to be a secondary drain.

For the moment, let me try to explain the proposed layout:
Bathroom is about 8ft. x 10ft. As you stand in the doorway, you are looking across the 8ft. dimension. The wall on the left is about 2ft. to the left of the doorway, and the wall on the right is more than 5ft. to the right of the doorway.
On the left wall is a bathroom sink, a hair wash sink, and the toilet. On the right, as you enter, is a shallow linen closet and a glass shower partition, perhaps 40" long. After the partition is aa 'aisle' between the shower area and the tub. The tub is set with the short end opposite the toilet, and the long side along the far wall. This arrangement gives you a shower area of about 40" x 4ft. "within" the partition, and 5ft x 4ft if you include the 'aisle' as part of the shower space.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Flood testing a doorless curbless shower

All showers should get flood tested. Even the barrier free ones. These ones almost more so!

Amish Electrician

Reaction score
Just letting you know I have not fallen off the edge of the earth!

As we enter this Spring, I'm gearing up to get the framing done, and the plumbing started around the end of May. During the winter, my demolition revealed that the sub-flooring in both the kitchen and bath was shot. I can't say I'm surprised. The happy news is that, for my plans, the floor joists run the 'right way.'

I believe I have found a source for the drain I want to place under the sinks: http://www.stainlessdrains.com/trench.html Yup, the term I was looking for was 'trench drain.' I'd use this by having a ball valve on the sink discharge, and a tail piece that would end a few inches above the grating. Want to drain the sink? Turn the valve, and it all dumps into the trench- where the strainer basket catches anything that doesn't belong. At your convenience, pop the grate, pull out the basket, and dump into the nearest trash can.

Now I am looking for a flooring contractor. The quest never ends :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks