Correctly Charged?

Users who are viewing this thread

lennyman

Reaction score
I've had my first major plumbing done at my house. We had a break in the seam all along the whole length of a cast iron drainage pipe that ran probably 12 feet. It was tight and they (2 plumbers most of the time, 3 plumbers some of the time) had to remove it in pieces. I got charged $900 from work and parts from 9:30 am 2:30pm.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like 10-15 man hours at $40-$60 per man hour would have been a good deal...but they threw in the parts too! You should be ashamed of yourself for treating plumbers like that.:D :) :cool:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
what about pain and suffering

dont forget spider bites and cobwebs....

tight crawl spaces always cost more......

I went in to a really tight hole last monday morning
and crawled around for about 1 hour with a dummey
handing me a couple fo 1/2 brass compression fitings
from the carwl space door...

I charged $275 to capp off two abandoned copper lines

I think I pulled a groin muscle...

and have really not been on my best game ever since...

all I needed was some bullets flying over me
as I was squirming through this mud and gravel

and it would have been just like on a Marine training drill at
boot camp...

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds about my little job yesterday evening... laying in mud wedged under joist and having to reach over and around duct to saw busted cpvc while the owners puppy walks up my back and starts biting my ears....

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
All I needed was some bullets flying over me

I was working on someone's sprinkler system this past summer, and all of a sudden I heard guns going off all around me and heard bullets whizzing by. Turned out that the teenage kids and their friends were having a little fun shooting at birds and squirrels and anything else they could see. I mentioned it to "mom" but she just screamed at them and they stopped for a few minutes. Then they started up again.

Cookie

Reaction score
I think he should had gotten it for free, LOL.
And, been offered lunch, too. :D :p

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You mean treat him like the relatives who call me when they want it for free but call someone else when the feel up to paying for it...whatever"it"is.... It's funny how they sometimes think the toothless wonder, level headed snuff-dipper down the road is worth more than I am... Heck I actually read the book and took the test!

Cookie

Reaction score
Sheesh, I hate it when my attempts at having some light-hearted fun, goes astray. :(

But, we all got those relatives, you would not believe mine, but, hey you never know what tomorrow may bring, and the sun will still come up.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
You got off WAY easy for that tough job !

$900 ?? You need to buy that guy a nice bottle of Crown Royal and give out his card!

The job he had to do for you SUCKS !!! He's a good man .

Cal

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Whizzing

Verdeboy said:
I was working on someone's sprinkler system this past summer, and all of a sudden I heard guns going off all around me and heard bullets whizzing by. Turned out that the teenage kids and their friends were having a little fun shooting at birds and squirrels and anything else they could see. I mentioned it to "mom" but she just screamed at them and they stopped for a few minutes. Then they started up again.

If you know what the sound of bullets whizzing by you sounds like, and they really were that close, and the mom not caring like that, there would have been a very big whiz charge on my invoice!!!!! Then a call to 911. I am pro gun but anti gun recklessness.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bullets

I was working on the ground work for a new school years ago, when it sounded like bees flying around. Then I realized it was bullets. My partner and I dropped to the ground and I crawled over to the transit and took the scope to try to see where they were coming from. A couple of kids were shooting at something on top of a small hill and we were on the other side of it. They took off cross country and we could not find which house they went into.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cass said:
If you know what the sound of bullets whizzing by you sounds like, and they really were that close, and the mom not caring like that, there would have been a very big whiz charge on my invoice!!!!! Then a call to 911. I am pro gun but anti gun recklessness.

I failed to mention that these were bee bee guns. But I'm sure they would sting pretty good.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Heres stupid, my uncle when he was a young teen, in the 1930s, used to hang out at a quarry and on weekends he and his friends would shoot at each other with .22s seeing how close they could get to each other without hitting anyone. It ended when a kid got one in the shoulder.

Also they would break into the gunpowder shed and ignite kegs of black powder.

They would take capped iron pipe and shoot marbles out of them at billboards.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Cass said:
Heres stupid, my uncle when he was a young teen, in the 1930s, used to hang out at a quarry and on weekends he and his friends would shoot at each other with .22s seeing how close they could get to each other without hitting anyone. It ended when a kid got one in the shoulder.

One of my younger brothers and some of his chums used to do something just as foolish to see who was the toughest (with a heavy coat on) by shooting at each others' backs with shotguns after loading their own shells.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
lennyman said:
I've had my first major plumbing done at my house. We had a break in the seam all along the whole length of a cast iron drainage pipe that ran probably 12 feet. It was tight and they (2 plumbers most of the time, 3 plumbers some of the time) had to remove it in pieces. I got charged $900 from work and parts from 9:30 am 2:30pm.

Working with piping that is covered with human excrement is high dollar/high hazard work.

I would of charged $5000

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks