Fitting copper tubing

Users who are viewing this thread

Riosman

Reaction score
I am a newbie and have been fitting the copper tubes with elbows and t's by using the emory cloth method. I clean up with wirebrush bristle to polish, smooth. The problem is it takes too long to fit the joints together. In some cases if too tight the fitting never comes apart. I think professionals must be doing it differently rather than using the emory cloth method. Looking for a more automated method perhaps some attachment for cordless drill to make the job easier.

Thanks
Riosman

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You don't want to do that. If the fittings are too tight they may have "egged-out" by being hit or stepped on. You can use a coarser cloth or sand paper. When possible I just hold the emory cloth on the end of the pipe while I roll it across the top of my thigh with the other hand. For fittings I use a brush made for that size of pipe. Battery post terminal cleaners do fine on 1/2" copper... and are usually cheaper than the combo brushes sold in plumbing departments. I've had problems keeping the fittings on after greasing up with soldering paste/flux.

Riosman

Reaction score
I'm just about done with running the water lines for a new kitchen. I used 7 3/4 x10' tubes. All had the same issues. The 1/2 tube is more of a problem. I tried the ez sweat fittings and found them to be more trouble fitting onto the tube.
I was surprized at the time used to fit the tube and fittings. The sweating to the tube was easy. No leaks
I was hoping there was something I was missing to help speed up the process.

TedL

Reaction score
Don't know how long it's taking you or how you're handling the emery cloth, but I'm not a pro and the cleaning takes me < 1 min total for the two sides of a connection. The brushes Randy mentioned are an absolute must for the female part. There are brushes for the male part as well, but I generally use about a 4-6 inch strip of stuff sold as plumbers cloth (surprisingly coarse), wrap it around and squeeze with one hand, rotating that hand or the tube back and forth until shiny. And I'm often using pipe that's been sitting around tarnishing for a while.

Now, when I've had to reuse a fitting due to access or other constraints, that can take a while to clean up properly. But that's a rare situation for me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fitting

You may be tightening the cutter too much while you cut the tubing making it egg shaped, or you may be using type "L" tubing which can develop a burr on the end if you cut it too fast, or you could just have bad tubing. I have been at HD and looked at their tubing rack and not seen a single piece that was not bent or curved. We flux the tubing and fitting then put them together. We don't normally have to take them apart again.

Riosman

Reaction score
Type L is what I have been using. I'm finished with all of the 3/4. I have a little 1/2 to do.
If the fitting looks like it will go on I found it best to add the flux and push it home. Good chance it will not come off again without a struggle. I found the flux doesnt help much is slippng the fitting on.
How long can flux stay on the tubing before sweating? I like to fit together an assemby sometimes to aviod sweating in the wall. After sweating the assy then I install it. I try to plan ahead to position the final sweat in an easy to get to location.
Thanks for the info....

Riosman

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As long as it stays clean.... a week? A year? Depending on what kind of flux you use... if left on for extended periods some can corrode the pipe. I have gotten to like the no-corrode type of flux much better... hate to go back a few months later and see this green streak growing on the copper.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flux

I don't know what you mean by putting the flux on if you think it will go together, because you ALWAYS put the flux on before you put it together. The flux is not a grease to make it slide on easier, it is to clean the copper and minimize oxidation. Some fluxes will contaminate the joint if it is not soldered within a reasonable time, such as a day maximum. But if you are not going to solder it immediately why would you assemble the joint in the first place?

Phil H2

Reaction score
Unless you are using pipe and fittings that have been sitting around and turned brown, it doesn't take long to clean them. Like HJ said, if you are having problems putting it together, something isn't round or there is a raised edge from cutting the pipe. If the edge of the pipe is raised, try using a file to bring it down to size.

Sometimes fittings become dinged at the edge were the pipe is inserted (happens more on bigger fittings when they are dropped on a concrete floor). Up to one inch, you can smack the opening with the ball end of a ball pein hammer to make the it round again. (you aren't hitting them real hard because you have to hold on to the fitting). Often, it is not worth the trouble to straighten small fittings. It cost more in time than the fitting is worth.

There are tube fitting brushes without handles that will fit in a drill. But it won't save much time. They only work inside the fittings. Also, the handle of a normal tube fitting brush can be cut of and used in a drill, but the brush doesn't last as long as the others. If you are cleaning tons of fittings, this can save your wrists.

I have worked in a shop doing pipe fabrication. Sometimes one person would clean and flux while another solders (piece work). Flux wasn't left on overnight.

Nocorrode also turns pipe green. Excess needs to be cleaned-off after soldering

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ya got me... I've never left on long enough to really know... I always solder after fitting up and fluxing.

Riosman

Reaction score
It might be an hour after adding the flux before soldering. I did the job in sections before crawling under the house. I found it easier to work above the floor as much as possible. This was my first big undertaking in regards to soldering fittings. I’m adding 480 square feet to the house. Big kitchen…
I have done all of the work from grading on. All is done except for electrical, drywall and cabinets.
So far the copper tubing was very time consuming when compared to all of the other tasks. The time was spent getting the fittings to properly fit on the tube. I was surprised at how many fittings didn’t fit very well and required some work to get them on.
The positive side is the job is done which were two sinks and one line for a refrigerator ice maker. No leaks, worked the first time.
Thanks for the tips

Riosman

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The problem is the tubing cutter you are using. I have run into this a few times over the years. Either the cutter is an inexpensive one or the cutting blade is not sharp. what is happening is the copper pipe is bulging at the cut point and when you try and fit it it doesn't want to go into the fitting.
A Ridgid brand cutter will make all the difference and will last you a life time if taken care of. I would also use sanding cloth and not emery cloth but the emery should work.

An hour between applying flux and soldering should not make any difference.

When soldering heat the fitting and that may allow a little more solder in between pipe and fitting.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't add anything new to what has already been written, but I'd reenforce the idea that your cutter is suspect. Perhaps too much pressure at one time? I usually make 3 or 4 adjustments on a cut. That may be too many, but I've never egged a pipe end. As far as cleaning, I was told to clean the pipe just prior to fluxing and soldering. Even setting overnight would allow the pipe to oxidize. The cleaning methods I use are just about what everyone else as advised. I've even used sandpaper on a stick when I couldn't find my brush for the fitting. Emory for the pipe end works as well as a brush and allows you to clean a little extra length on the end of the pipe. I just wrap the emory around the pipe and twist until shiney. I think you are learning that plumbing with copper takes alot longer than you first think because of the cutting, fitting, cleaning, and soldering of each fitting and each pipe end. It does take time. Same applies to doing a lawn sprinkler system with PVC.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I hate having to do it but I've frequently wraped a piece of emory cloth around my finger to sand inside of a fitting. Much of this results in a sore finger and sometimes cuts which burn like crazy when I get flux on them. Happy Plumbing......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks