Maybe a dumb question, but.........

Users who are viewing this thread

TerryT

Reaction score
......since I'm a DIY'er, I 'd like to know which set up is better, if there is one.
On the connection between a brass tub drain and the plastic P trap, what would you prefer. Its a brass drain going to plasic trap.
1) Use the supplied brass tailpiece screwed into the drain, and use a plastic slipnut and washer on the other end. Or,
2) Use a plastic tailpiece with 2 plastic washers and nuts,threading it to the outer threads of the drain T.
Seems to me that the plastic washer and nut doesn't hold the brass as tight as it would a plastic tailpiece. Are rubber washers only used when the nut and pipe are metal? That is,You cant use a metal and rubber gasket on a plastic pipe being connected to plastic threads??? Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Use the brass tailpiece. Put teflon tape or dope on the fine threads that screw into the tee. I prefer a rubber slip joint washer. Put a little vaseline or plumbers grease on that for good measure.

If the truth were known, I suspect that the poly slip joint washers probably work and last just as long, but that is just one of those personal
"quirks" of mine.

DIY

Reaction score
brass or PVC

Me personally,whether it be pvc or brass i prefer to use the same material from start to finish....either all pvc or all brass...and the applicable washer/slip joint material that works best for pvc or brass. I also think for a drain pvc is the most cost effective. Ok, sure brass might last 10 times longer...well i think you all get the just here..

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Does brass last longer than PVC? That has not been my experience. I've never seen a pvc trap corroded or rusted out....but have replaced zillions of brass/chrome traps.

DIY

Reaction score
I thought the key operable word "might" would have got my thought across... Thanks for the clarification no worries

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
In my NSHO the 2 greatest changes that have affected the plumbing industry would be PVC DWV and ball valves, at least on the residential side. 1 time worked on a house built around 1910-20 that had threaded brass water pipe threw out the whole house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vaseline

Vaseline on a rubber slip washer? Don't you hear the safe sex commercials that petroleum jelly destroys rubber? If anything use a water soluble jelly, although the clerk may not believe you really want it for a plumbing job. (That works good on Sloan tailpiece "O" rings also because it lets it slide in and then washes away when the water is turned on so the tailpiece does not try to slide back out regardless of how much you tighten the lock nut.)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Ahhh hj, those safe s*x items are made of latex for the most part, not rubber thus the no petroleum jelly warning. Comon now lets get up to speed here :) .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks