(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Goofy Hot Water Heater Setup...

Default Goofy Hot Water Heater Setup...

I was over at a customer of mine's house last week doing an electrical job. I have my plumbing license, but generally stick to electrical.

Ok, I was looking at her water heater, completely confused.

The gas line comes over to the hot water heater, and then 90s straight up along the water heater, 90s over horizontal to the T&P valve, out the other side of the T&P valve, and then 90s down to the gas inlet of the water heater.

In other words, the gas goes through the T&P valve before it goes to the inlet. From what I understand this is completely wrong, but someone told me they used to install them like this many years ago.

Anyone have any insight into this? I can draw something with MS Paint if this isn't decribed clear enough.

Thank you!

Default more...

just talked to a buddy who said it's a Watts 210 setup...or something. sounds legit, apparently.

the water heater is in a garage where running a drain line outside would be a hassle, but not impossible...

Its an automatic shutoff valve. If the PT valve goes off, it will shut off the gas to the appliance. This will eventually let the owners know that something is wrong because there will be no hot water.

Got any pictures? I seldom get to see really good plumbing... most gas water heaters I see are when I take them out to replace with electric.

Last edited by Terry; 01-11-2007 at 06:49 PM.

That seems smart. It makes since. I wonder why I don't have one?

In their diagram that show it installed where the blow off valve is, and you just move it's location to the hot water side up line a foot or so. Cool.