Delta to Price Pfister Roman Tub replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

cstdenis

Reaction score
I know this is probably a dumb question, but I am really confused. I have an old classic delta polished brass roman tub 2-handle faucet. I purchased a Price Pfister Marielle replacement which came with pipes, etc. I am having a hard time getting the old handles/pipes out of the tub and I'm really unsure about whether I can even do the replacement without tearing out tiles, etc. I thought it would just be a matter of changing out the insert to connect to the handle and change out the handles, but apparently I'm wrong. Do I need to get a plumber to do this?
Thank you.

delta_roman_tub_old.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
stick with DELTA

Take that Price Fister back.....they are junk

you already have a Delta

all you go to do is go to a plumbing

supply house and simply buy the TRIM KIT for about 90 bucks..

in whatever delta faucet design you wish to install......

if the faucet is PB it is probably a mid 90s Delta

it is still interchangeable with MOST of the new stuff,,

and you should just have to change out the tub spout with
an allen wrench

and the new handles and escuption plates
should jsut screw off and you should be albe

to re-use the basic body

price fister is junk anyway....

wshful

Reaction score
Delta tub faucet

I'm trying to replace a Delta roman tub 10"faucet from 1986 and can't figure out how to remove it, there is no set screw behind the faucet. any ideas, thanks

delta_roman_tub_old.jpg

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While I am not familiar with that particular one, if there is no set screw to be found anywhere on the top side then it is held on from under the deck it is mounted on. If it is like many I have seen then you will have to gain access from some where and many I have seen are completely enclosed by ceramic tile which has to be broken to get there. Lets see if someone else has another idea.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
roman tub

Spouts with set screws are a fairly recent innovation. The old ones were held in place by a lock nut under the deck and a drive pin into a hole in the dect to keep it from turning. For those you need to access the underside of the deck, but you would have to do that anyway to replace the faucet.

cstdenis

Reaction score
Will all delta faucets work?

OK, can I replace it with any Delta faucet/handles? I don't want the ugly acrylic ball handles anymore. I don't have a plumbing supply in my area.
Also, my escuption plate on the hot water handle is stuck. I tried WD40 and silcon spray. Any ideas?
Thank you.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
If you call Delta's 1-800 number and describe your situation, they will set you up with what you need in style and selection to retrofit to your situation.

That part you are having trouble removing; try turning it slightly in a tightening motion and then reverse motion. This sometimes opens the thread pattern and allows that small movement to allow the connection to free up.

jlohrenz

Reaction score
Yes,
Call Delta. Their CS is great. Stay away from Price Fister. We bought a faucet from them for our kitchen and it has been a PITA since then.

Good luck!

cstdenis

Reaction score
called delta - still confused

Well, I called Delta and they asked me "is the base of the current faucet square?" I answered the base of the current faucet (spout) is kind of rectangular. This freaked them out and they said they can't gaurantee that any new faucet will work with it. So I thought maybe we are not communicating and told them the hole in the tub was circluar and the valve stem was circular as well. I don't think I got my message across, because I got the answer "well you can try a newer faucet and see if it works." I don't feel like wasting $300+ just on an experiment. So I'm not sure what to do. I took some pictures of both the faucet and handle valves and stems. Can someone give me some advice please?
spout and valve:

handle v
delta_romantub_1.jpg
alve:
delta_romantub_2.jpg

Thanks!
Carol

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The new Roman tub faucet by Delta does not match up with the old valve.
You're looking at a complete replacement of the faucet if you want to change the tub spout.

This is the new replacement here.

delta_bt2710_6.jpg

The old Delta Roman tub faucet removed. We had to enlarge the holes to 1-1/2" for the new stems and spout.

delta_bt2710_1.jpg

delta_bt2710_2.jpg

delta_bt2710_3.jpg

delta_bt2710_8.jpg

We removed six tiles on the side of the tub box to get access to the valve.
The Old Delta valve had been run in tubing smaller than 1/2". We wound up removing that and using PEX to the new valve, which by the way is now 1/2" copper.
I wish I had taken a picture of the rectangle we had cut out with a sawzall. The general borrowed our saw and did a nice clean job of it. He plans on reinserting it now.

The old tub spout was fastened from below the tub. There is no replacement without undoing it from the underside. The new trim does not work with the old rough. A new rough was needed.

Delta BT2710 was used here.

Last edited:

robert13084

Reaction score
You probably wont find just the trim since delta changed there faucets. Tear it out and put in a new one. Delta is junk! Pfister makes a better quality faucet!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
At least they did. Not sure how they are going to be not that they are a China company, and have to comply with the anti-lead laws, which all companies will have to do somehow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks