(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need the experts to verify this plan

Previous member

I fully agree with the above two replies.

bob...

You know, this proposed design was based apon the typical system design installed by many well/plumbing contractors in my area.

I figured that it was a good idea to follow suit and that aerator/staorage tank was the way to go. I do have a pressurized bladder tank that I could use in place of the storage tank. It certainly would simplify the installation of the irrigation system later on.

If any of you have a link to a system design on the web, I will investigate that resource.
    BTW, the piping size from well to the house is 1 1/4'' cpvc piping. I have 90' of pipe from the pump to the well seal, and another 70'+/- of piping to the house. Thank you for your guidance.
    Jeff

Previous member

I can't believe a well drilling contractor would use DE filters in a water system. The aerator tanks are old technology. I haven't installed one in 20 years. We use an air pump and galvanized tank to remove the sulphur odor and it's all done under pressure. No bacteria growth or dead frogs or roaches floating in your drinking water. This is a sketch of the system we use.

bob...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

good diagram but two questions -

If no connection to the atmosphere, where exactly does the sulphur end up at? Are we talking hydrogen sulfide? By aerating in an "open" tank I see the gas evaporating. In a closed tank it becomes what or goes where? Elemental sulphur that settles to the bottom?

Check valve near tank - I thought you well guys didnt like that?

Perhaps millions of homes in California have "open" tanks for storage without any detectable bacterial problems. It seems that sealing such tanks and addding 1 micron or less filters to the air intake-release structure would negate any issues of air borne contaminants.

Previous member

good diagram but two questions -

If no connection to the atmosphere, where exactly does the sulphur end up at? Are we talking hydrogen sulfide? By aerating in an "open" tank I see the gas evaporating. In a closed tank it becomes what or goes where? Elemental sulphur that settles to the bottom? The air release valve on the side of the tank. It has a float that will let the excess air and any gas out when the water gets down to the float. This happens just before the pump kicks on.

Check valve near tank - I thought you well guys didnt like that? This check valve is only necessary if someone has a hose bibb on the bladder tank. Without the check valve with a bladder tank in front of the galvanized tank, someone opening the hosebibb would let all the air out of the galvanized tank through the hose bibb.

Perhaps millions of homes in California have "open" tanks for storage without any detectable bacterial problems. It seems that sealing such tanks and addding 1 micron or less filters to the air intake-release structure would negate any issues of air borne contaminants. The Air Pump has it's own foam rubber filter on the inlet side. So far after hundreds of sales and installations, no bacterial problems have shown up. But in the aerators that are still in use here in Florida, the water in those tanks is disgusting to say the least. Dead frogs, lizards, roaches and algae of several colors growing in them. The ones with chlorinators keep the algae down and help to turn the dead critters a soft white color.

bob...