Noise in PVC DWV Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

ThreeNephews

Reaction score
When hot water drains from my sink or tub in the upstairs bathroom, there are noises coming from either inside the DWV pipe, the drywall or the wooden support structures. I’ve talked to several plumbers who’ve never heard of this. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Casman

Reaction score
Ya, this is very common and is usually expansion and contraction and the friction between the points of attachment. Mine sounds more or less like a popping or ticking...

Casman

Reaction score
No, I suppose I could but I think i would have to open the wall, which is behind a 6 foot long vanity.

ThreeNephews

Reaction score
Well, in my case the wall is already opened because I had to re-pipe the supply lines (I had the infamous grey plastic stuff used in the 80s - 90s). Luckily, I can see exactly where the pipe is jammed in tight between two studs. So what I'll do is re-enforce the studs with metal braces then chisel out (or something) around the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks