(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Connecting metal drain to copper waste pipe

Hybrid View

Default Connecting metal drain to copper waste pipe

Hi .. I am pretty new to do it yourself plumbing. I am re-doing a half bath & when removing the sink, the metal drain pipe was so corroded, it broke a few inches beyond the copper waste pipe. How do I get the rest of the metal drain out & subsequently, how do I re-attached the new metal drain to the copper waste pipe? Looks like it is just soldered in?? Does that sound correct?

Got any pictures?

DIY Senior Member Mike Swearingen's Avatar

Pictures will help.
    If it is straight piece of 1.25" chromed drain pipe, you can hacksaw off the corroded section and connect it to a similar piece of pipe from the trap with a rubber coupling with stainless steel hose clamps made for the purpose and acceptable to code (aka Fernco brand name coupling).
    OR saw it off and use a compression slip joint connection on it.
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 12-27-2006 at 06:20 PM.

Default Fernco

The Fernco with a rubber sleeve and two clamps is not accepted by codes. It is also a poor way to make the repair. The proper way is to cut the piece out of the drain and then put a new trap onto it. How to do it would require a picture so we know exactly what he is working with.

Default thanks for replys

Thanks for the replys ... I will try to get a picture out here ... basically just a 3 - 4 "" peice of chrome pipe straight sticking out of the copper pipe. The chrome pipe ends just where the curve downward begins to start the P trap. The ens are a jagged mess because of how it snapped.

thanks -- Jlongo08889

Hmmm... trap adapter with appropriate nut & washer (male adapter with nut for 1 1/4" drain pipe)... cut tail piece and add tail piece extension with its appropriate nut and washer. To get the old piece out use something like a punch, chisel, etc. to drive in between the tube & pipe and try to get a bite on it with pliers or vice grips to pull it out... may have to heat pipe with propane torch.
    Last edited by Randyj; 12-28-2006 at 09:32 PM.