The best way to add water service

Users who are viewing this thread

jbmcc1022

Reaction score
I am new here.. hence post No. 1... I have started a detached garage and apartment 40 feet from my house. I am on well and septic. I have already installed the waste, and hooked up to the drain field. Inspection passed both building and health.

The question I am having is how to run water to the detached garage and apartment. I have some people suggesting that I hook up to my existing water in the house, and run that to the garage, and while this seems doable, I am wondering what kind of pressure I will have at the 2nd story of the garage? The other option would be run a new line from the well, however I am not sure if this would require a new well pump??

any help or suggestions would be grand..

John from VA

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your pressure drop would be based on the length of the run, size of the pipe, and 4.4 PSI for each 10' elevation change. A relatively short run through 1" pipe would see very little pressure loss, for example.

Since I have no experience with wells, I will await suggestions from others on that.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is immense value is simplicity. One pipe beats a pump, tank, controls, and power like a straight flush beats a pair.

jbmcc1022

Reaction score
Bob NH said:
There is immense value is simplicity....

Bob, you are so right. That is the way I would like to proceed, however I fear the low pressue. I already have low pressure two floors up in the main house.

Any suggestions on how to raise the pressure? New pressure vessel?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks