Where to buy water meter box?

Users who are viewing this thread

tsutomua

Reaction score
I am looking for a water meter box or the cover for the box only. I haven't been able to find a store that sells it. Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've seen them at Lowe's... the box stores carry things like that.

R

Rancher

If you're thinking of the concrete water meter boxes and metal (diamond tread) lids... probably the same companies in your area that provide Septic tanks. What the Lowe's and H-depots sell are plastic valve boxes.

Rancher

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Those plastic valve boxes are exactly what the local water folks installed when I recently connected to the water system. I don't see many of those old concrete boxes in new installations anymore. Even the big high dollar gated communities are using them.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Around here, there is a specialty brick and block company that has the concrete boxes with concrete lid. Commercial suppliers like Apex and Ford supply may also have them.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look on line at www.usabluebook.com

Stock numbers you can look up on the web site are 62042, 62041, 62034, 62035, 62047, 62048, 62049, 62050, 62051, and 63031. One of them may match yours.

When it comes up in the search, click on the hyperlink and it will show you the detail.

If you click on the Catalog page at the first link, you will get the page with all of them at once.

They will charge to credit card and ship same day if you order by 5PM Central time.

tsutomua

Reaction score
Thanks EVERYONE! I was little surprised to see the many responses in one day. Thanks a lot.

My water meter is located about 2 feet below the lawn. What I am trying to do is to stack concrete blocks (the gray one, about $1 each) and put the water meter box or the lid only on the top. I am going to apply morter between the concrete blocks. Does anyone foresee problems in this approach?

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
They make stackable meter boxes. Concrete blocks may not be the large enough for future meter maintenance. From my experience, when I bury something so that I can't get to it later, my good friend Murphy sees to it that I'll need to. :(

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
tsutomua said:
My water meter is located about 2 feet below the lawn. What I am trying to do is to stack concrete blocks (the gray one, about $1 each) and put the water meter box or the lid only on the top. I am going to apply morter between the concrete blocks. Does anyone foresee problems in this approach?
What you want is more like a manhole. You should use something at least as large as the 16" square chimney blocks that give you at least a 12" inside square. Think of having to work inside with a wrench to replace the meter.

The ones at USA Bluebook (my previous post) have complete boxes as well as covers. You may want to put the whole box above the concrete.

Does someone have to remove the cover to read the meter?

You might consider leaving the last one without mortar so it can be removed for easier access if necessary.

You presumably don't live in an area where frost goes down 4 ft.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My country bumpkin/trailer trash approach has worked for me quite well.. dig out the hole, take a 5 gal bucket and cut a slot out of the bottom to go around the pipe and meter...or just cut out the whole bottom..insert in hole then go to box store or walmart and buy a round stepping stone from the garden department to use for a cover. If you want to pour concrete around the bucket using it for a form then that's peachy king too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks