(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Hot Water Heater

Default Hot Water Heater

I am in the market for a new hot water heater. I currently have a Rheem Rudd 40 gallon gas direct vent (model RQD40-38M). I got 5 years out of the first Rheem Rudd before the tank started leaking and 12 years out the second Rheem Rudd - and the tank is just now starting to leak. Is there any particular brand name or model that you would recommend? Why?

I have been looking locally and noticed that most of the manufacturers have a self clean version which apparently have some sort of baffles inside to stir up the sediment on the bottom of the tank in an effort to keep them from filling up with sediment. Of course this feature costs a bit more (about $100 extra). In your experience, is it worth the extra dollars to get this feature or is it just a marketing ploy?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Don

IMO,

We install Bradford White Heater, seems to be a good heater, why recommend them? just like them, no real reason.

Last edited by Terry; 04-24-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    Plumber for 20+years

Default self cleaning

The feature only works with a high flow, which modern faucets do not give, except for the bath tub, not the shower, and the clothes washer. The material does not "disappear" so it has to go somewhere, usually to plug up the aerators on the faucets.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The best thing to do is follow the manufacturer's instructions, and periodically, drain a little out of the tank to clear any deposits that settle to the bottom.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

hj - What you say makes sense.

Jim - I guess I can just hook up a hose and drain soem water off the bottom every 6 months.

Any other opinions about the self cleaning hot water heaters out there?

Don