tile around tub

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkMark

Reaction score
any recomendations for tiling around a tub/shower surround. is it acceptable to use an aqua/humidity approved drywall or should i stick with a cement backer board?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If it is not coming in contact with water, MR board / green board or even drywall should be fine as long as you have a fan for moisture removal.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Greenboard is NOT adequate as a substrate for tile in a tub/shower. Needs to be backerboard with a moisture barrier under it.

For excellent help in the tile area, see this forum: www.johnbridge.com

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
no paper faced gypsum board

You said "tub-shower"; that says it all. The wall will get wet every day.
It must be waterproofed. There are many ways to build the right amount of waterproofness.

A vapor barrier behind a CBU is one method; both layers should allow drainage on top of (in front of the edge of) the tub flange.

The other option is to put a membrane directly under the tile, so the CBU itself doesn't ever come in contact with water. Thinset (tile cement, not mastic) goes on this tile-ready membrane. There are three tile-ready membrane options: liquid gunk that hardens, a sheet that you overlap at seams, and an XPS foam board encased in fiberglass fabric and coated with cement. The last one replaces the need for any other board under it, so it saves a lot of time, mess and dust, too. It is very good.

You cannot put paper near that amount of humidity; it'll be eaten by mold, even paper treated to "resist" mold. Even the latest technology that is better than greenboard. No organic matter near permanent humidity. No mastic tile cement either; it gets eaten by mold too! Only portland cement or epoxy cement. When i say "eaten" by mold, i mean that the organic matter will begin to smell very bad, and ultimately get rotten away over the years. The smell is most apparent when you open the walls to demolish them, but the offending micro-organism has been there for years offgassing permanently at the expense of your health and enjoyment.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks