(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Venting Question

DIY Junior Member

Default Venting Question

Hello Forum

I'm in the process of a bathroom remodel, and I'm getting to the plumbing phase -- just looking it over.

Please look at pics

The drain from a bath/shower combination will be moving to the left. I will be building a custom shower.

Is my approach correct and most efficient?

Cut the vent (secondary) and attach an elbow ( 45 degree angel) run a pipe to the Sanitary Tee.

I have seen this approach in past remodels. Yet is it the best approach to moving the drain?

Thanks/Happy Holidays

Drake
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files

DIY Junior Member

Default 2nd Attachment

That second attachment's format will not open. It was a diagram illustrating modification to the plumbing.

Send it as a jpeg attachment.

Default picture

You took the picture looking directly at the piping so we cannot tell what you are trying to show. If that is the trap, then cutting the line to it and relocating it sideways should work okay. Your picture does not seem to show any vent, (secondary?), that you would have to cut.
    Last edited by hj; 12-25-2006 at 07:34 AM.

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter shacko's Avatar

Default Vent

Quote Originally Posted by phixit
    Hello Forum

I'm in the process of a bathroom remodel, and I'm getting to the plumbing phase -- just looking it over.

Please look at pics

The drain from a bath/shower combination will be moving to the left. I will be building a custom shower.

Is my approach correct and most efficient?

Cut the vent (secondary) and attach an elbow ( 45 degree angel) run a pipe to the Sanitary Tee.

I have seen this approach in past remodels. Yet is it the best approach to moving the drain?

Thanks/Happy Holidays

Drake
    Your picture is not that clear about what you are trying to do. The only thing that I can say at this time is to get the galve. out. Like other posts, Im having a problem with what you call a vent. Try to repost your pictures.

.................................................. ..........
    "If all else fails, read the directions"

DIY Junior Member

Default New Pic.

Hello Forum

I've included a new picture. The vertical pipe, I'm calling a vent. It runs up/through the roof. Does it have another name?

This was the DWV for a tub/shower. I want to move it to the left (the T & 90 Elbow) and tap into the vent at 45 degrees. Is this logical approach to venting the DWV for the new shower?

The second attachment was a drawing of the modified plumbing, yet it won't publish to the site.

Thanks

Phixit
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default vent

That is the vent, but why would you have to cut it? All you have to do is relocate the trap to the new location. You would not connect to the vent with a 45 degree angle in any case. If this is for a new shower, then the pipe is too small anyway.

DIY Junior Member

Hello Hj

I would relocate that lower elbow and T to the left. Now I have to vent the shower drain/trap.

I have seen plumbers/carpenters run a 45 up to the vent. Why a 45? I'm not sure why? I've just accepted that its best practice. How else would you vent the shower? I'm sure that there is more than one way to do this. I just want to be simple, safe, and economical. And, I have that vent right there.

If you take a close look at the elbow and T in the picture its all corroded pipe that need to be cut out and redone, the threads are shot.

Thanks

Drake

Rancher

I'm not sure where that elbow is, under the tee, where does it go? That looks like galvanized 2", is it? Are the threads completely rusted out, looks like you moved the trap to the right for the second pic, and is that floor joist going to be in the way?

Rancher

DIY Junior Member

Default shower plumbing

Rancher

Yes the elbow is under the T, which made a run to the drainpipe by a Y-fitting which is connected to a 4" stack. Yes it is 2 inch galvanized pipe completed rusted out.

I'm order the shower (kerdi shower) so I'm not exactly certain where the drain will be located. I'm guessing to the left of that joist. Since this is going to be a tile shower (heavy) I'm hoping that I will not have to cut into that joist.

HJ/ Would you clarify what you meant by the pipe being to small for a shower? The vent?

Drake

Default Size drain. Diameter. Drain pipe size.

Quote Originally Posted by phixit
    ....pipe being to small for a shower? The vent?
    A short run of 1.5" diameter pipe will carry a lot of drain water; a long one will carry less.

The drain for a shower is a 2" diameter pipe.
    The drain for a tub-shower is a 1.5" diameter pipe.
    The drain for a tub is a 1.5" diameter pipe.

That is the code today.

Code used to be :
    The drain for a shower is a 1.5" diameter pipe.
    The drain for a tub-shower is a 1.5" diameter pipe.
    The drain for a tub is a 1.5" diameter pipe.

I don't know in which year Code changed, but it does require a 2" pipe when you convert from a tub or tub-shower to a shower. That is the code.

A short run of 1.5" diameter pipe will carry a lot of drain water; a long run will carry less.

In some far away countries the diameter of a shower drain is even smaller than 1.5"; it is SO small that you notice the difference when you stand in the shower pan and feel warm water enveloping your toes. The feeling is not bad, in my opinion. Water drains more slowly; some remains in the pan before leaving.

Not your case. In your case, with either a 1.5" drain or a 2" drain, water will flow out so fast that you won't have any left to warm your feet or toes on a cold shower floor.

It is true that a small drain can get blocked more easily. Especially if it is a long run. And really bad if it has bends and turns.

Not your case here. You have a short run, a straight line.

Code requires a 2" diameter pipe. This should be installed. Now that you have everything open and accessible, now is the time to install it.

david